New brake pads installed - Thud Noise when stopping!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 02:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New brake pads installed - Thud Noise when stopping!?

Hey Guys, I just had all 4 stock brake pads replaced on my 06 F-150 Lariat SCREW at 73,000 miles. I had the shop install the Wagner ThermoQuiet Semi-Metallic pads and had the rear rotors turned. The mechanic said that they would have turned the front rotors, but they couldn't be turned. I also asked them to check all the rotors out to make sure they weren't warped because this appears to be a common problem with our Fords. He said they all looked good.

I got in and drove away and the truck definitely brakes better (old pads were down to 5% on fronts and 30% on rears). But I noticed a slow "thud" noise when coming to a complete stop. The noise appears to be coming from the rear of the truck. I don't feel any new feedback in the pedal or wheel though.

This is only the 4th time I've ever had brakes replaced on a vehicle. I don't ever remember hearing a noise like this before. Am I being paranoid or is there something wrong?

Old 03-04-2011, 10:51 PM
when is it happening. need a little more info on when how offen any thing like only in the morning ect..

Old 03-05-2011, 09:32 AM
Check all of the bolts holding the rear and front brake calipers and brackets. After that, it might be something to do with the emergency brake.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:04 PM
Originally Posted by Daniel09
when is it happening. need a little more info on when how offen any thing like only in the morning ect..
It's happening every time I come to a stop. It actually sounds like it's getting worse. I'm taking it back to the shop on Monday.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:30 PM
Just an update. I took it back to the shop this morning. On Friday they said that the rear rotors "looked fine." Today they said they tested the rotors and they are warped. They said the rear driver side rotor is the worst of the two. They resurfaced them and they are working much better. The mechanic told me to drive it for a few days and if anything comes up they'll try to resurface them some more - all of this at no charge.

I'm just going to bite the bullet and buy new rotors. Any suggestions?

Old 03-08-2011, 04:23 PM
What about backing up? I had more of a clunking sound and my parking (emergency) brake was all fouled up on the passenger rear. Someone (possibly the dealership) did something wrong. Got it fixed and no more noise.

If you really need new rotors and are at all mechanically inclined, I would buy them and do them yourself. WAY Cheaper.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:35 PM
sounds like they set you up make sure they are not turning the rotors below discard thickness if they cut them again

Old 03-09-2011, 11:55 AM
so did that fix the thump?

Make sure they put the brake pad clips in... these hold the brake pads in proper location and without them you might here some thumping as the pads shift around.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by mkosu04

Make sure they put the brake pad clips in... these hold the brake pads in proper location and without them you might here some thumping as the pads shift around.
Sorry for not updating. We sort of got into it at the shop and I got half my money back. Got new rotors installed at another shop and the problem is gone.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by mkosu04

This is very common.

My drivers side front was doing it intermittently, I was going to dissassemle to fix it, but then it want away.

When this happens though it isnt so much a "thud" I would call it a slight pop.

Quick Reply: New brake pads installed - Thud Noise when stopping!?