Trailer / Brake questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 12:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trailer / Brake questions

I'm looking on getting a zero turn and trailer to mow some of my rentals. Probably around a 14 - 16ft trailer.

Weight wise, I only need one axle. But with tandem adding brakes on one axle, is it worth the extra wear and tear that would be taken off of my trucks brakes?

Are there any other advantages to going tandem when you don't (yet) need to?

Price is only about 500 - 1000 difference so not huge on that aspect.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:43 PM
The key is your statement "dont have to yet". You can pull a single axle with zero turn all day and the truck breaks alone will be just fine. You can even pull a double axle with a decent payload with out trailer breaks (just be cautious for stopping distances). However, if your not looking at that much more money, I would go with the double axle with breaks for the "yet" factor, save you money in the long run and you will have it if you ever need it.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:33 PM
get the double axle just because you will be surprised what will come up and need a bigger trailer....even moving house stuff or load of mulch..
I only say this because ive been using my brother-in-laws 12ft tilt trailer, which is awesome and really handy, but the use factor is very limited.
Ive been looking at a tandem axle 18ft with brakes all around. side ramp and rear ramp. i also want to be able to haul a car or truck on it if i want to, so bigger axles for me

Last edited by Big_Smokey; 03-14-2011 at 02:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Trailer / Brake questions