stock Goodyear ATS tires, how many miles??

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2001, 03:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also agree with GIJoeCam, the GY RTS is a tire to avoid. I had them on my truck and was glad to see them go. I now have Bridgestone Dueler AT's, a much better tire.

Old 07-25-2001, 07:57 AM
I cruised thru the dealership again last night. It seems that there's no rhyme or reason to the tread pattern of the RT/S (or is it RS/T?) tires.

I'm now considering buying-ahead a set of tires so that I can at least match the pattern when these wear out.

I must be missing something, but mine seem to be doing everything pretty well (just are noisy) -- and I've always had Goodyear and Michelin on the same page of my likes.

What am I missing?

Old 07-25-2001, 08:56 AM
i don't know what you are missing

I had the rt/s on my truck for all of 4,000 miles.Winter came and the tires had to go (terrible in the rain).I replaced them with pirelli scorpion all terrains.Huge improvemant, But I doubt I will get the 40,000 miles that they are rated for out of them.I think next time around I am gonna get the goodyear wrangle mtrs (if I can get any feedback saying they will get 25,000+ miles on them) Y2k 7700 maybe you actually have a different tread pattern than everyone else that's complaining.

Old 07-25-2001, 07:25 PM
i have 265/70R17 RTS tires on my ford and they have a lil over 65,000 miles one them and there just starting to show a lil wear. But i figure theyll last another 10,000. that is intel there as slick as ****.

Old 07-26-2001, 01:53 PM
Hey guys!

71K and counting on original equipment. Granted they grip worth a damn anymore but they'll hold out until the tax refund check comes.

Old 07-26-2001, 03:37 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs down

The only good the factory stock tires are is getting you from the dealership to the tire store of your choice so you can get some real tires. The ones from the factory are fine for grocer store hauling, but as many have noted, when it's wet, they just don't have what it takes to perform when compared to a good aftermarket set of tires.

If you have 65k on the stock tires, that's great, but replace them. No tire in the world is going to be any good with that many miles on them. The rubber gets really hard and cracked. Don't wait until you get to the wear indicaters either. You might as well be riding on slicks.

Old 07-31-2001, 10:32 PM
Slapshot

If you just have to stay with goodyears, do yourself a favor and get any kind of wrangler other than RT/S. They are not just a sorry tire, they are nothing short of dangerous, especially if you are used to how a good tire handles. After having BFG's on, I put the stock RT/S's back on for a little while. The first red light I came up to, the anti-locks kicked in. On dry pavement! Wet traction is worse! I felt as if I were driving on ice the entire 2 weeks I had them back on. I am so glad to get them off my truck.
My brother has exact same truck as I and he has the AT/S's. they aren't bad.

Old 08-19-2001, 10:13 AM
Thumbs up Great Mileage....for me....

I have a 97, 4x4 (no liftkit) I bought in March of 96. I have 88000miles on it and replaced the factory RTS's @8000 miles with 305/70 R16 size ATS tires. They are the same set I bought at 8K. That's 80K on the tires. 20K miles is offroad (like, NO road) miles and the rest is daily driving. I have to drive one way to work (Norfolk Naval Base) about 28 miles, half city, half highway. I also have made numerious long trips of over 500miles..

I have the tires rotated and balanced every 5K or so...

I have found that if my tire pressure is over 38psi, they do wear more....I usually keep them about 35psi and NOT the 29 recommended by FORD or 45 recommended by my Goodyear dealer. Also, air temp plays a big part. A 10' change in temp results in 3psi change in tire pressure...

My next set, sometime early next year will be another set of ATS's.

Here is a picture. Sorry about the quailty..... :o

Quick Reply: stock Goodyear ATS tires, how many miles??