Nitto mud grapplers vs nitto trail grapplers??

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 01:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nitto mud grapplers vs nitto trail grapplers??

I'm going to get a 6 inch lift and 35's on my 2006 4X4. I've always loved mud grapplers, and I've aleays wanted a set. Now they came out with trail grapplers. Both are very expensive, and I don't want to have to buy another $1300 set of tires after 25,000 miles. How long do both last on the road? Which would you say is a better buy? noise is not a concern; I like to hear them hummm

Old 03-23-2011, 02:08 PM
Trail Grappler will last longer. Mud Grapplers are louder (ALOT). If you are concerned about wear go with the Trails. If I had an off road only rig I would go with the Mud Grapplers but for my daily driver without question I went with the Trails. I would also consider the Toyo Open Country M/T or BFG KM2's.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:31 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i got about 40K out of my mud grapplers. i would think the trail grapplers would last longer tho. just have to keep up with rotating and balancing them.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:44 PM
Mud grapplers if you want a badass looking tire, however you can get anywhere from 30,000 out of them or more if rotated often. I have friends that have trail grapplers and theres are wearing fast. I dont like the look of trail grapplers. I love my mud grapplers, especially the roar they give, people definately know your coming.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just got a set of trail grapplers and they are plenty bad *** enough for me

Old 03-23-2011, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by IORf150
Mud grapplers if you want a badass looking tire, however you can get anywhere from 30,000 out of them or more if rotated often. I have friends that have trail grapplers and theres are wearing fast. I dont like the look of trail grapplers. I love my mud grapplers, especially the roar they give, people definately know your coming.
I think trail grapplers in larger sizes look a little off, with the closer tread pattern they look "busy" not enough open space and way too many lugs to make a circle. Where the mud grapplers do not have that issue. In your case I can see why you would choose the mud's.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I figure unless you pretty much drive in hell, mud grapplers are overkill.

Trending Topics

Old 03-23-2011, 05:04 PM
Second the KM2's, I heard they wear great and they look awesome for a mudtire

Old 03-23-2011, 06:54 PM

If its a street driven go with the trail grappler, if its offroad as well go with the mud grap. I've owned both sets and the mud graps ride like absolute crap compared to trail grapplers. Mud graps look way better though.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:59 AM
Mud grapplers you can get 40000 miles out of if well taken care of and they look much better them trail grapplers. If balanced right they ride decent

Old 03-24-2011, 03:10 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by mdhawkin
Trail Grappler will last longer. Mud Grapplers are louder (ALOT). If you are concerned about wear go with the Trails. If I had an off road only rig I would go with the Mud Grapplers but for my daily driver without question I went with the Trails. I would also consider the Toyo Open Country M/T or BFG KM2's.
Ditto on this. I've had many different rigs over the years, mostly for serious off roading. Unless you are regularly taking your truck out wheeling, go with the trail grapplers. Mud tires are loud, no matter which brand. Personally when it comes to my off road trucks I like the Goodyear Wrangler MTR. This is what I had on my 90 Bronco and my 76 Blazer and what will be going on my 78 F150 I am building. However, all the mud tires howl pretty good. Unless you just have to have a truck that looks like you wheel all the time, go with the trail grapplers for a smoother ride and decent all terrain performance. As an aside, as a person who has trucks that actually see dirt, I find it humorous to see a truck with a bazillion bucks into the lift, rims, and tires that is only used on asphalt. But to each his own I suppose...

Old 03-24-2011, 03:24 PM
Some people like their trucks to look nice and be clean desertrat. nothing wrong with it if they want to spend their money on it. my truck sees alot of dirt and sugar sand around my grandparents farm hence the fact i now run mud grapplers but i like to stand out in what i drive also. getting compliments and having people stare at your vehicle is a good feeling. but i agree to some extent bc i know people who dump a ton of money into suspensions and lifts and big shiny wheels

Old 03-24-2011, 03:29 PM
Technical Article Contributor

The key is that your truck actually sees dirt. I am talking about mall crawlers that won't ever see so much as a speck of sand or piece of mud that are garaged when it rains. I don't mean to sound elitist, but to me lifting a truck and putting mud tires on it is done for a purpose other than getting the chicks. Then again, I am kind of an old fart who has been wheeling now for about 35 years. I also feel bad when somebody purchases aggressive mud tires based upon a bunch of thumbs up on a forum and then the poor victim finds that they love the look but hate the sound or performance.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:37 PM
lol i def agree with you now. i see alot of trucks especially younger kids with them that will never see any kind of off roading. And i think alot of people do buy based on what people say on forums. for me mud grapplers are great im not that old mid 20's so sound isnt a huge problem right now and i dont do a ton of long distance driving mainly to town and back. i like to look good but dont mind getting dirty. post some pics if you geta chance of the bronco. i love old school fords

Old 03-24-2011, 04:01 PM
my mud grapplers wore great but be sure u keep them rotated, i didnt rotate mine like i should have and they started dipping and at speeds lower than 5 mph started gettin kind of bouncy. i have a couple of friends with the trail grapplers and they seem to be wearing down really fast for some reason, and plus the mud grapplers just look way better, especially on a lifted truck

Quick Reply: Nitto mud grapplers vs nitto trail grapplers??