wheel spacers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 04:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It doesnt matter how you use the truck whether it be for picking up groceris, to mud boggin in Lake Okeechobee, there is still stress put on them. But then again, anything bigger or wider or with more backspacing than stock will increase stress... As long as you make suree theyre are torqued to proper specs, then re-torqued in 100 miles, then you shouldnt need to worry about them flying off. Theres a certain safety risk with doing an modification on your ride when it comes to wheels and tires. But mostly theres nothingto worry about as long as its done properly.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:57 PM
Well I've used bolt on adapters for cars, often to adapt a popular wheel to an odd hub ( like adding Audi wheels to a Peugeot !) but never to a full sized truck. So I have no experience here. I would think however, that in a rear wheel only application with stock engine, and little or no off road use...(and I'm certainly not the kinda guy that does burnouts in the church parking lot) that it would be fairly safe. Anybody with half a brain in their head, will ask and listen to, the more experienced ones!

On another note...I shoulda got a red truck!

Old 08-31-2011, 08:30 PM
DEXTER2010S/C
if I use wheel adapters on my 2010, will my tire pressure monitors still work?

Old 08-31-2011, 10:58 PM
Nope. The wheel sensors have to be 39 3/4 inches from the receiver to work. If you space them even a quarter of an inch further away then they will cease to function. this distance is how Ford keeps you from picking up the sensors in the car next to you.

Ok that's a lie. I don't even know why I said that. I'm just kiddin'.
Truth is, Unless your spacers are about 6 feet wide it shouldn't be a problem at all. The sensors are like little walkie talkies that talk to the computer via radio. There is no physical connection. A little extra spacer wont hurt their operation.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Patman, that was some funny shizz man. I never did get spacers, but haven't ruled them out yet either. Remember Dexter, that if you are going to go spacers you have to make a choice of either cutting off your wheel studs to accommodate narrower spacers, or buying spacers deeper than the factory lugs. To avoid cutting lugs short, you are looking at buying 1.5 spacers. (or adapters as some might have me call them)

Old 09-04-2011, 01:05 AM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
I've known of people to use adapters as well as myself, never heard of or seen a failure yet.

A 20x8.5" wheel with 6 inches back space bolted to a 1.5" wheel spacer that then is in turn bolted to the trucks wheel studs is exactly the same as a 20x8.5" wheel with 4.5" back space assuming both carry the same tire.

Draw it out!

Now, if you are using aftermaket deep dish wheels with a lot of offset already and hanging oversized 38.5" tires on them .... and then add even more width or offset outwards with spacers .... yeah, you can have problems but then you were way beyond stock before you put spacers on.

Some race trucks even use spacers and some trucks come from the factory with what amounts to an adapter bolted to the hub and the wheel bolts to that.

Always properly torque the adapter / spacer to the hub and I would locktite those bolts as they shouldn't need removal often. Then again torque the nuts holding the wheel on.

Last edited by tbear853; 09-04-2011 at 01:08 AM.

Quick Reply: wheel spacers?