This is why I'm against Black Wheels w/ Chrome Bumpers!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 07:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lariat10
This post comes just in time! I have a silver crew cab 2010 w/ black nerf bars and tool box. I had a rough country level installed today and have devided on 305/55/20 trail grapplers. Wanted to try the black wheels but am stuck between all black and black with machined. What's your guys thoughts? I'm looking at the fuel octane or throttle. Sorry no pics, I'm trying to figure out h ow to put them in now...
Thanks in advance!
If it was my truck I would have the bumpers painted or powder coated silver and go with the Black and Silver Fuel Throttles. I like those wheels, but can't pull it off with my truck.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:49 AM
Originally Posted by jerrybizzle
I think there is enough other black parts that it looks fine. What I think looks bad is 14 inch wide wheels with a 13.5 inch wide tire. Who would do that?

I'm not sure if you've read through any of my previous post lately, but I purchased the lift, wheels and tires as a package deal. I was not 100% on the wheels when I got them and new I was going to sell, but would keep the tires. I sold the 22x14's a couple of weeks ago. The 22x11 Hostages will be in to MHT's warehouse in Houston on April 21. The local shop should have them a couple of days after. Hopefully I'll have the wheels on 4/23 or 4/30,

Old 04-15-2011, 08:38 AM
So you're saying u got a good deal on them. Do you think that could be the case with some of us with the Chrome bumpers on our used trucks as well? I think so. Wasn't exactly able to check off the options on the build sheet of a used truck. What benefit is it to have 22s on a lifted truck. As far as I understand the lower profile tires from using such large wheels aren't as good off road and also have a lower max weight load than say their 18 inch counterpart. Or is your truck just for show? I use mine and live in the northwest. Tears chrome up. Had two sets before these "black" ones that required too much upkeep. They pitted bad. That is why some of us choose black. Easier to maintain.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:12 AM
Lazy...

Old 04-15-2011, 09:14 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I would have to disagree with the OP, seeing as I have black wheels and chrome bumpers, but I have to agree that it would look better with PTM bumpers. I plan on getting a set of PTM bumpers, but the front would have to have fog lights, or I'm not going through with it.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by jerrybizzle
So you're saying u got a good deal on them. Do you think that could be the case with some of us with the Chrome bumpers on our used trucks as well? I think so. Wasn't exactly able to check off the options on the build sheet of a used truck. What benefit is it to have 22s on a lifted truck. As far as I understand the lower profile tires from using such large wheels aren't as good off road and also have a lower max weight load than say their 18 inch counterpart. Or is your truck just for show? I use mine and live in the northwest. Tears chrome up. Had two sets before these "black" ones that required too much upkeep. They pitted bad. That is why some of us choose black. Easier to maintain.

I understand that when you're buying used that your choices are limited. Like I said before, I'm NOT against black wheels and understand that living up north is not the same as living here in the south where we don't have the same harch winters. I've seen a lot of guys line-x there chrome bumpers black which look pretty good also. Trading the chrome bumpers for black bumpers then getting them painted is also another option.

I wouldn't say my truck is a show truck, but I have a company truck to use during the week and only use my personal truck on the weekends. I run 22's b/c I don't care for the look of a giant baloon tire. Some people like it and some don't. As for as putting my truck in the mud, it won't be more than a puddle and only if I have to pass through it.

I personally can't see taking a $50k+ vehicle and offroading it. I have a fourwheeler thats much cheaper that I can use for that.

Basically I'm very particular about my vehicles and other toys. I'm also a neat freak and like for my vehicles and toys to be clean. I guess sometimes I get overboard with it and have to realize that not everyone is like me with there vehicles.

This is examples of my bike.
Name:  TowerTrax.jpg
Views: 5197
Size:  169.1 KB
Name:  RedCreek3.jpg
Views: 5256
Size:  35.0 KB

Cleaned up after a ride.
Name:  6-21-2010004.jpg
Views: 5285
Size:  135.1 KB

Old 04-15-2011, 09:25 AM
^^^^^ I have black wheels on my bike so I do like black wheels. lol

Old 04-15-2011, 09:32 AM
Very nice 4 wheeler. I like the overall look of Ur truck, just can't see why you're pushing chrome so hard. Here is a pic of my old truck. A 2wd with 22s. Where I feel that big of a wheel is more suited. I just kind of grew out of chrome for now. And yes chrome wheels with chrome bumpers. Woohoo! [IMG][/IMG]
Both are gone now.04 Sierra and 04 R1.
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by jerrybizzle; 04-15-2011 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:54 AM
I have a 04 FX4, black with gray accent around the very bottom. My question is, does anyone have any experience with painting their factory rims? I was told you could rough them up and paint them. If this is possible and looks good, I'd like to paint mine black.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:05 AM
Search button my friend
How to paint your oem wheels

Old 04-19-2011, 12:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now that truck doesn't look too bad, but those wheels do look a bit out of place IMO. I think more of a black and machined type of wheel fits in a lot better on a truck with chrome bumpers.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:59 PM
Chrome wheels w/ chrome bumpers carry the chrome around the bottom of the truck. I had trouble choosing between black or chrome wheels and went with chrome. I couldnt be happier they really bring out the bumpers and match well. I vot chrome wheels on chrome bumpers.

Old 04-23-2011, 01:51 PM
I love my set-up right now!! I do want PTM bumpers but all-in-all I dont mind the set-up of black with chrome.... I think too much chrome is ugly!!

Quick Reply: This is why I'm against Black Wheels w/ Chrome Bumpers!