brake pads installed at home????

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 01:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brake pads installed at home????

when my truck went to the shop the other day...they wanted like 150 2 put in front brake pads....(parts included in price) i went out and got pads and said stick it! ima do it myself...followed this vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36i-c...eature=related and everything came out A OK

Old 04-19-2011, 12:43 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I've done all my own repairs for 35 years of owning cars. While cars have gotten much more complicated in that time, the internet has made life a lot easier w/ all the info out there ...

Old 04-19-2011, 08:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great job! Yes brakes and oil changes are super easy to do yourself and you know it's done right!

Old 04-19-2011, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by Pockets
Great job! Yes brakes and oil changes are super easy to do yourself and you know it's done right!
Especially pads on disc brakes. Drums can be a pain; if the shoes have worn into the inside of the drum, the drum won't come off until you've loosened that damn "star wheel" inside the casing in order to back the shoes away from the drum. Sometimes that takes 10x as long as the rest of the job, grrr.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:02 AM
I had to mute it because the music was freaking me out haha

Old 04-19-2011, 10:23 AM
$150 is what I pay for parts alone, they were probably using the cheapest of the cheap parts and the remaining is not bad for labour. But, I too have always done repairs myself within reason more for experience than savings, which does not hurt either. Good job!

Old 04-19-2011, 01:04 PM

when it starts to shake and eat your new pads let us know. you should have at least had your rotors machined at napa

Old 04-19-2011, 01:14 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I love it! Just one recommendation....don't place you legs under the front suspension- just in case...a safety precaution.

Old 04-19-2011, 02:01 PM
I could have been the advanced "special-effects" in that video, but I didn't see a torque wrench (for both the caliper bolts and the lug nuts), anti-seize for the lug nut studs and the back of the pads, popping the MC reservoir cap (the air / fluid has to go somewhere when you're depressing the caliper piston), or turning / replacing the rotors (2WD also plan on re-packing bearings).

I wouldn't hang my hat on everything you see on-line. There's still something to be said for Chilton's / Haynes / experience.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by kep5niner
I could have been the advanced "special-effects" in that video, but I didn't see a torque wrench (for both the caliper bolts and the lug nuts), anti-seize for the lug nut studs and the back of the pads, popping the MC reservoir cap (the air / fluid has to go somewhere when you're depressing the caliper piston), or turning / replacing the rotors (2WD also plan on re-packing bearings).

I wouldn't hang my hat on everything you see on-line. There's still something to be said for Chilton's / Haynes / experience.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:56 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Should have re-packed the wheel bearings too..

I get away with not turning the disks every other pad change... Then I just buy new disks..

Nice job none the less... I think I did my first brake job when I was around 16 and it was a learning experience to say the least!

I did my rear drums last year... Now, that is a job! I wish I had rear disk brakes!

Lots of parts..

But they do go together..

Mitch

Old 04-20-2011, 02:01 PM
i used my haynes manual the most. it was fairly simple. and i had the rotors turned in the last pad change so i figured it would be ok for this...plus the pads where not down that far

Old 04-20-2011, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by MitchF150
I did my rear drums last year... Now, that is a job! I wish I had rear disk brakes!
Yeah, but unfortunately even the rear disk brakes use drums for the e-brake. Not normally a problem unless the reason you're working on the brakes is because you forgot to release the e-brake before driving 20 miles on the highway to go to work (and the warning light on the dash was inoperative)

Old 04-22-2011, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by RSchnier
Yeah, but unfortunately even the rear disk brakes use drums for the e-brake. Not normally a problem unless the reason you're working on the brakes is because you forgot to release the e-brake before driving 20 miles on the highway to go to work (and the warning light on the dash was inoperative)
my old man did that...when i got the truck i hit the e brake...nuthing happen...so no i got a footrest

Quick Reply: brake pads installed at home????