Quetsion about tire plugs

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 08:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Quetsion about tire plugs

I know this is probably a dumb question but isn't it illegal to put a plug in a tire?
We got a flat tire last weekend in a brand new tire on the side wall, my husband took it back to the place we bought it and they said he would have to buy a new one (mind you it's not even 2 months old) he said ok how much they said $105 for one tire well wth we only paid $80 a tire when we bought them. So the guy said well i can plug it for you since you don't have the money. So ya my question is, is it illegal to put plugs in on a side wall..this is on the inside of the tire not the side facing you can see

Old 05-03-2011, 09:14 AM
When I worked at discount tire we were NEVER allowed to plug a tire if the hole was on the sidewall. I would not let him screw you like that.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:32 PM
You should never plug or patch a sidewall holes unless you are way back in the boonies and need to get out to help. If you bought the tires brand new I would think
there should be some type of "road hazard" warranty.

Old 05-03-2011, 04:07 PM
Take your business elsewhere and have that tire replaced.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Crash!
NOPE. NEVER. And while we are on this, here is a reminder to always put the WORST tires on the FRONT!
I would never put the worst tire on the front. If there is a failure there is much, much less chance of the driver using control if the tire is on the rear.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:56 AM
Our rule at Goodyear is roughly 1/2 inch from the shoulder of the tire and in toward the center of the tread block is where we will repair a tire.

And, even then, the tire is dismounted and repaired from the inside using a combination plug/patch repair system.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wandell
I would never put the worst tire on the front. If there is a failure there is much, much less chance of the driver using control if the tire is on the rear.
I know for a fact that is is several companies policy in my neck of the woods to put new tires on the rear, and old ones on the front. Seemed kinda backwards to me seeing as how the traction and steering control is on the front two wheels. Thier logic was to have best traction on the rear, to keep the vehicle from spinning around and losing total control. 6 of one, half a dozen of the other I say.....

Quick Reply: Quetsion about tire plugs