Front rotors. Go vented or normal replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 11:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front rotors. Go vented or normal replacement?

I was figuring on going with cross drilled and slotted rotors to replace the stock ones on my 2006 5.4L since we were told we needed to replace them. Anyone think the stock replacements are better than going with vented?

It sure seems like vented is the way to go to get rid of heat from the brakes, but the stock ones have not given us any problems with warping since we don't tow and just drive normally (wife is heavy on the brakes and heavy on the gas).

Thoughts? I have never heard if vented rotors kill the pads faster or if the rotors themselves wear faster.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:39 AM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
The heat is not that dig a problem unless you are doing heavy towing in hills. The slotted are not so destructive, but drilled tends to eat pads and really is only needed in racing aplications.

I prefer stock rotors and high quality semi-metallic pads.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First thing, all replacement discs for your truck should be vented. Venting referrs to vanes between the two disc surfaces. Drilled or slotted are a whole different thing. That being said it is a personal choice. If you have not seen any issues, quality replacement rotors will be fine. Keep in mind drilling and slotting, brings other problems, like accelerated pad wear. I have slotted rotors on my Expd, and like them, but pads don't last as long.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:01 PM
Glen, you are right on the venting, I forgot about that.

Interesting. So far, my only experience with slotted and cross-drilled is what I have on my Toyota Avalon. When the car started getting lots of shaking when applying the brakes at "only" 80k, I decided to get something that would breathe better. I now have 180k on the car and have replaced the pads once since then, which doesn't seem out of the ordinary to me.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:10 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
I had regular replacement rotors and Wagner ThermoQuiets. Put 80,000 on the pads, and finally removed them as I was wondering when they were going to wear out. Could have gone about 20,000 more.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:44 PM
O.K., checking with the O'Reilly web site and the Wagner front rotors are $175 each and the Brake Best Select brand are $85 each. Huge difference! Of course, Motorcraft are $320 each.

Pads are $50 a set front or rear for the Wagner ThermoQuiet semi-metalics and the spindle nut is $20 each.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:59 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Apparently, you have a 4x2. Have you considered ordering the Centric hubs and converting to the 4x4 rotors? I may do that at some point. I had a bearing failure at 41,000 on one original rotor, replace ***** fronts with the expensive Raybestos rotors. Had another bearing failure at about 60,000 miles on one of them and replaced that one with the $80 one. I have about 20,000 on it and it is good so far.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:34 PM
I am looking at the Centric hub kit and it makes sense to do it. $145 each for the kit (comes with the rotor, hub assy and nut) with free shipping depending on who you buy it from. Vs. $84 for the rotor, $20 for the nut.

Throw in another $50 for the pads and you are done and next time, it's a simple $50 rotor and you don't need to mess with the 300 ft-lb torque of the nut?

Old 05-04-2011, 03:52 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by SVonhof
I am looking at the Centric hub kit and it makes sense to do it. $145 each for the kit (comes with the rotor, hub assy and nut) with free shipping depending on who you buy it from. Vs. $84 for the rotor, $20 for the nut.

Throw in another $50 for the pads and you are done and next time, it's a simple $50 rotor and you don't need to mess with the 300 ft-lb torque of the nut?
I'm not positive but I didn't think it came with the rotor. Thought you had to buy that extra.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:16 PM
Looks like if you get the kit, it comes with the rotor and the nut.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:54 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I switched to slotted rotors with semi-metallic pads. It will throw my head into the dash if I make it, they are fantastic.

Quick Reply: Front rotors. Go vented or normal replacement?