Trail Grapplers Started Rubbing

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 05:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Trail Grapplers Started Rubbing

If anyone remembers about a year ago I got a set of 295/70/18 Nitto Trail Grapplers. When I got them there was no noticeable rubbing, I did not feel, hear or see it in any way. Recently I rotated my tires, and this may just be a coincidence, but now my tires are rubbing the sway bar on both sides at full lock. Its not a show stopper or anything, but I can visibly see it, feel it and hear it. The air pressure is good, running 45PSI, tires still ride great, are wearing even, I have no vibration or shakes in the ride or through the steering wheel at any speed. Any clue why they would have started rubbing now? The only thing I can guess is the sidewall has softened causing a little more of a bubble or wider footprint that was not there when new. I have roughly 15K on them.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:23 PM
i believe it was the trail grapplers that have two different sidewall treads. maybe the ones that are on the front now have the more aggressive one on the inside and that is causeing the rubbing.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:05 PM
Originally Posted by dilloncawthon
i believe it was the trail grapplers that have two different sidewall treads. maybe the ones that are on the front now have the more aggressive one on the inside and that is causeing the rubbing.
You are correct about the two different sidewalls, but the aggressive side is turned out on all four, so that's is not the case. Not to mention these tires have been on the front before because this is not the first time they have been rotated.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:27 PM
Originally Posted by mdhawkin
You are correct about the two different sidewalls, but the aggressive side is turned out on all four, so that's is not the case. Not to mention these tires have been on the front before because this is not the first time they have been rotated.
oh i gave it a shot, idk.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by dilloncawthon
oh i gave it a shot, idk.
Appreciate it....I dont know either.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:42 PM
i do not really have an answer to your question. i am however looking at that tire. how do you like them? do they do well in snow and rain?

also do you have them on stock wheels? if so could you measrue the tread width on the truck and let me know what it is? i currently run 305/65-18 BFG's and they are pinched pretty good so i was thinking the 295/70 may give me about the same measured width on the truck. ( the original 275's were just plain weeny looking )

Old 05-14-2011, 04:32 AM
Sag in the suspension over time causing slight changes in camber and toe. Get a alignment and it may solve the problem.

Trending Topics

Old 05-14-2011, 03:59 PM
I had 275/70/18 on my truck and over time they started rubbing the sway bar. After much searching, my upper and lower ball joints needed replacing. Replaced them, and the ruvbbing went away. I am with carcrazy. Get alignment, and check ball joints.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:28 PM
Thanks guys, I will check out the joints. The truck only has 47K on it and I would say 25K of that is without a leveling kit. I hope my ball joints are not shot already. I did glance at them the other day for any obvious signs of wear & tear and visually they looked fine. I will pull the tires and do a more thorough inspection and see if that turns up anything.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:35 PM
good luck! keep us updated

Old 09-07-2011, 01:30 PM
Finally discovered what I think it is. Appears that the stop on the LCA that the spindle bumps against at full lock has worn since its steel on aluminum. Since it wore down I can now turn just a little more which caused the tires to rub on the sway bar.

Last edited by mdhawkin; 09-07-2011 at 03:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Trail Grapplers Started Rubbing