2005 Ford F150 STX

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 07:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Ford F150 STX

Hi Guys,

I would like to get some feedback, basically, some brake advice? My truck being a 2005 came with a really sucky design that incorporatea the rotor and bearing all in a one piece unit. It's expensive to change and I've had 2 bearings go out, and warping issues, which according to the Ford dealer and then another shop that when either the roto or bearing goes out, you have to replace the whole unit, wow that sucks.

Is there any kit or upgrade out there than can separate the two? That way i can just change the rotors more easily and save some money long term.

I'm planning to put a tow hitch on the truck and tow a boat around as well as a bike trailer, so I definitely need to get better brakes or upgrade the brake system entirely.

Since the front brakes take most of the heat to stop the truck, is it necessary to also upgrade the rear brakes? I've never had a problem with them but I just want to know in case, and I don't know if they are a rotor and bearing combination like the front ones?

I was looking at Brembo and Baer and they are pricey, considering the age of my beloved truck I don't feel the need to spend unecessarily, but I do want to be safe.

Can I please get some factual advice from you guys who are knowledgeable with my situation?

I've had nothing but squeaking and warping issues with those front rotor/bearing combos and they are squeaking again now, and boy do they create a lot of break dust.

I also wanted to ask if anyone knows good all around tuner/mechanic that can do the work for me here in Southern California that is reasonable with pricing with empeccable quality of work? I had this problem twice where the dang spark plugs had to be rethreaded back into the engine because they shot out, they said again that this was a common problem for my year vehicle. Any advice on that would be great?

Along with the brakes, all I want to do to this 4.5 liter V8 are:

•Have full maintenance check up performed on my truck, spark plugs tightened, air conditioner recharged, check to make sure engine and transmission is in excellent condition, etc..?

•Tow hitch installed, bolted in and welded

•Magnaflow Exhaust S/I S/O – Model #16612 – Exhaust tip exits behind right rear tire (specify slash cut style), along with Superchip - Increase HP, Increase Fuel Mileage, and Torque, (Removes speed limiter). Trruck will also be used for towing boats and trailers

•Upgrade brake system

•Upgrade springs and shocks, this is a street truck 95% of the time.

•Truck paint fixed, remove all dings, dents and scratches in body work and plastic, repaint areas that need it.

Old 06-11-2011, 07:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody have any advice, I need to change the brakes next month.

Quick Reply: 2005 Ford F150 STX