Brake Pad & Rotor Replacement Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 11:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brake Pad & Rotor Replacement Question

I was wondering if I need to put on new brake pads if I am putting on new rotors. My thought is just to bed-in my current pads on new rotors.

Is that okay?

Old 06-15-2011, 11:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If this is inline with your other post, and you have 30k on the pads, I would go ahead and put new ones on there. Overall pads are not that expensive, why you are in there doing the work might as well replace them. You will not have to worry about any funny wear or negative side effects. If the pads were newer I would say do not worry about it, reuse them.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:24 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I have never had a problem with doing that.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mdhawkin
If this is inline with your other post, and you have 30k on the pads, I would go ahead and put new ones on there. Overall pads are not that expensive, why you are in there doing the work might as well replace them. You will not have to worry about any funny wear or negative side effects. If the pads were newer I would say do not worry about it, reuse them.
I have changed my rotors before and reused my current brake pads with no problems. Not until recently did I read that pads and rotors should be changed together no matter what. It sounds like a $$ making scheme to me.

What are the potential problems with changing rotors and reusing the same pads?

Old 06-15-2011, 12:23 PM
I guess the main thing to check is make sure the pads do not have any odd signs of wear and the surface is good. Bedding the pads to the rotors should help eliminate minor variances where the pads are not flat. If you have oddly worn pads you are not going to make flush contact with the new rotor resulting in some uneven wear and loss of stopping power.

I am not saying you cant reuse them, but I would take a minute to examine their condition before throwing them back on there.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:39 PM
If it were me, I'd put on new pads when putting the rotors. Heck, I replaced (upgraded) the rotors when I had to replace my pads.

Just makes sense to me if you're going to have it all torn apart anyways and it won't take hardly any extra time. Then you'll be good for another ~40k or more.

- NCSU

Old 06-17-2011, 09:09 PM
I would put new pads on. You already have everything apart.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:45 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes, new pads. Too cheap to not do the job right. Variances in the pads, grooves, valise, etc will prematurely wear into the rotor...or at least they can.

Quick Reply: Brake Pad & Rotor Replacement Question