Clearance Issues - Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 06:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Clearance Issues - Need Help!

I put on 305/55R20 Trail Grapplers on my stock 20" wheels and even though it doesnt rub, I only have about 1/4" of clearance between the tire and upper control arm which makes me nervous I have a 2" Autospring level kit on it. Does anyone else have this issue? Is it something to worry about or not?

Old 06-15-2011, 07:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well if it doesn't rub it will probably only rub if you are off roading. you should have gotten a bigger lift

Old 06-15-2011, 09:14 PM
I don't think a bigger lift would improve his clearance issue. The UCA location shouldn't change with a leveling kit. However, the width of the tire and the backspacing of the rim will make a difference.

To the OP, a lot of guys run 305/55/20s on stock rims. I wouldn't be too concerned about it. Some guys on here run small spacers to improve the clearance but adding spacers is a debatable topic.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:11 AM
Thanks for the input. I know I could probably correct this with different wheels, I would actually like to put these on new wheels, but I don't know what the offset and backspace is of the stock rims or what I should look for in new ones. Anyone have any suggestions for wheel's given the tire size and 2" level?

Thanks!

Old 06-16-2011, 12:17 PM
I have the exact same setup as you. Well, almost the exact same setup.....you have 2" Autospring kit up front and I have a 2.5". And just like you said, there's maybe 1/4" clearance between the tire and the upper control arm on my truck. But that's nothing to worry about. The only time you're going to rub anything is when you're close to full lock.

And just a question for you, does your left rear tire rub the emergency brake line any? I have a rear leveling kit (also from Autospring), and with the 305/55/20's on my stock rims, the inside of the left rear tire rubs the emergency brake line whenever I stomp on the brakes. Well, it USED to do this, but it doesn't anymore since the tire finally rubbed the line enough to where it has enough clearance now. I'm just curious if you're having the same issue.

Here's the thread I made about it, just after I installed my tires: https://www.f150online.com/forums/wh...ew-issues.html

Old 06-16-2011, 12:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If the tire isn't rubbing the control arm/ball joint you are fine. I have about the same clearance with my Expy's 22's.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:38 PM
I haven't seen them rub anywhere, including the emergency brake cable - and I have been checking pretty regularly. I guess the Trail Grap's have those exra knobbys on the top of the sidewall and that's what sticks out.

I certainly feel alot better after hearing from you all - but I guess maybe I will look for some different rims to move the tire out a little bit. I have had a hard time finding a concensus on what the offset and backspace are on the Ford oem 20's, but the nearest I can tell its a +44 with a 6.5" backspace - if this is wrong and if anyone knows what it really is please post it!

Desert Dawg has pics of his S-Crew with MB Wheels with a +25 offset - 5 3/4" backspace and says he has plenty of clearance.

Something else to buy I guess!

Old 06-16-2011, 06:17 PM
Well, if you like the looks of your stock 20's, you can always find some good quality spacers. I'm sure they're cheaper than buying new wheels. It's up to you.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:59 PM
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
My Terra's are about the same, maybe a finger width from the control arm but no rubbing and no plans for different wheels. My truck is at stock height now but do plan to level it.

Quick Reply: Clearance Issues - Need Help!