Brakes making clicking noise - help plz

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 12:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brakes making clicking noise - help plz

Hey all,
so I got an '07 fx2 supercrew about a month ago when I traded in my 98. New truck has been good til about a week ago; when coming to a stop or rolling slow like i'm parking, either going straight or turning left (bit worse click) I hear a slow clicking noise but the noise is pretty loud. I'm pretty sure its coming from the passenger side front brakes.

The clicking seems to only come a few stops after i've been driving, almost like the brakes need to warm up before it happens. It doesn't happen when I press firmly down on the brakes at all I think but its when I start easing off the brake that it starts to do it once every second or 2 until i'm stopped, and sometimes it feels as though there's some minor resistance as well . If i lift my foot of the brake while its clicking it stops completely, this is why I think its a brake issue and not a ball joint, bearing control arm issue.

The dealership told me the truck had some brake work done prior to being sold, I think it was pads/rotors but I can'r remember exactly and conveniently can't remember what I did with the paper saying what the dealership had serviced on the truck.

Any ideas/experience with an issue like this? please help, not only is the sound annoying, I can't help but think it sounds damaging. I appreciate any input thx KC

Old 07-29-2011, 09:01 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sometimes the metal dust shield gets bent when the brakes get worked on and can come Into contact with other components. I am not real sure. There should be some others along shortly that are more knowledgeable in this area.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:36 AM
I found the truck at a KIA dealership so its possible the twits there didn't do the brakes properly when servicing them. Hopefully its not something serious. Today coming into work (10-15 min drive) it didn't make the noise at all until I was parking and it made one or two clicks, but like I said earlier I think it needs to 'warm up' before it happens.

I called the dealership about it and the guy was pretty cool about it saying I can bring the truck by on Saturday and they'll look into it (i'm hoping for free). I'm hoping it ends up being a minor brake issue, and not one of those things that takes hours of labour and replaced parts only to not fix the problem!

Old 08-03-2011, 11:56 AM
could it be a small rock caught in there somewhere?

Old 08-03-2011, 12:03 PM
I'm not sure what could be making the noise, but if I were you, I would pull the wheel off and see if you can find any debris or bent parts in there. If something is scraping against the rotor or pads, then it could rub them down to nothing.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:27 PM
thx for the answers. Took it back to the dealership, they took off the wheel and took the whole braking system apart, cleaned it up a little and put it back on and now the problem is pretty much gone. I heard the noise once maybe twice in the last week, as oppose to almost every stop once the truck was warmed up. I hope this is the end of it!

Quick Reply: Brakes making clicking noise - help plz