Need an Opinion on Tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 12:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need an Opinion on Tires

Good afternoon! I need an opinion on tires for my truck as I am having a hard time visualizing and can't find any pictures to give me an idea.

I have an '02 FX4 lifted around 8" (PFA body lift and RCD suspension). I have Mickey Thompson 16x10 Classic II rims (5 lug pattern - this is part of the problem I think) and currently have Parnelli Jones 36's. I need new tires and can't get the PJ 36's anymore. Options are really limited (and cost a fortune) in 36" tires for the rim size - MT Baja MTZ, IROK or BFG MT2 that I have found. So I was thinking about going down to a 35" but am wondering if it would take away from the looks of the truck??? In the 35's, I am looking at BFG KM2 Mud Terrain, Pro Comp Mud Terrain, MT Baja MTZ or **** Cepek F-CII...opinions/advice anyone??? The only time I drive off-road is in OBX, NC on the beach - the rest of the time I am on-road. Thanks to any and all who have ideas!!

Old 08-03-2011, 12:24 PM
how about 37's? and do u have any pics of ur truck?

Old 08-03-2011, 12:41 PM
Try this link to see a pic of the truck hardrock - I tried to include it in my post but it must not have worked. Love your truck!

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...925ca8e&type=1

Old 08-03-2011, 03:33 PM
thanks man, I wish mine was as high as yours lol. I think that 35's would be too small for your truck tho....

Last edited by hardrock3742; 08-03-2011 at 04:13 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:05 PM
You should be able to fit 37s with no problems. I think 35s would look too small in the wheel wells. Interco IROKs come in 36x13.5x16, which will be about the same size as your current tires, and I don't think they cost too much.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:52 AM
Thanks for the opinions and suggestions hardrock and atr04screw - being a gal, most people think I am crazy for having a lifted truck so most don't really take me seriously when I ask a question... Do either of you know anything about the BF Goodrich Mud Terrain KM2? They have a 36" that would fit and like the IROKs, are a 13.5 so I would only lose a little in the tire width but I don't hear anyone talking about them....Again - I appreciate you all taking the time with me and your opinions!! Thanks guys!!

Old 08-04-2011, 10:14 AM
haha being a girl with that truck just makes you even more badass. Ive never had the km2's but I almost bought them when I got my trail grapplers. They are a little more expensive but I heard that they get pretty much the best tread life out of the m/t tires and they look pretty sick too. oh and they are supposed to be great for offroading but never heard any stories from using them on beaches yet. IF you have the money id say its one of the best m/t tires to get

Old 08-04-2011, 11:59 AM
Do either of you know anything about the BF Goodrich Mud Terrain KM2?
The KM2s are one of the best m/ts out there. They have a great tread pattern and clean out great. A guy on this forum posted that he had 30k on his and they still looked brand new. I would assume they would easily get 60k miles.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:02 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i have the KM2's with the same lift size as you. they are great tires, handle well and are quiet on the road.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by hardrock3742
haha being a girl with that truck just makes you even more badass. Ive never had the km2's but I almost bought them when I got my trail grapplers. They are a little more expensive but I heard that they get pretty much the best tread life out of the m/t tires and they look pretty sick too. oh and they are supposed to be great for offroading but never heard any stories from using them on beaches yet. IF you have the money id say its one of the best m/t tires to get
I take that as one of the best compliments I have ever received hardrock and I thank you for it!!

str8t six - Thank you! I was wondering how the KM2's handled and sounded on the road. My PJ's handle pretty good and weren't too loud, so I was hoping for something similar!

atr04screw - Thanks again for all of your help, opinions and information! You and hardrock convinced me to stick to the size or bigger than I have!!

It will either be Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ 375/65R16's or the KM2's! Now if the KM2's weren't on national backorder.....

You guys are the best!

Old 08-04-2011, 07:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thats a sick truck!!!!

Old 08-04-2011, 09:12 PM
I'd take the km2's over the baja mtz's, they'll perform better on the beach and they definitely have a better tread life from what I've heard. And I'm down in obx now! haha, but I haven't been able to get my truck on the beach yet which is one thing I was looking forward to during vacation ha

Old 08-08-2011, 08:53 AM
Originally Posted by f150fella08
thats a sick truck!!!!
Thanks f150fella!! Love my truck and gonna steal a line from a commercial here - "when I turn it on, I want it to return the favor!"

Old 08-08-2011, 09:02 AM
Originally Posted by pizzaman711
I'd take the km2's over the baja mtz's, they'll perform better on the beach and they definitely have a better tread life from what I've heard. And I'm down in obx now! haha, but I haven't been able to get my truck on the beach yet which is one thing I was looking forward to during vacation ha
That's the way I am heading pizzaman - I would rather have the KM2's - just hoping I can get a hold of a set of the 36's before too much longer since my PJ's are really worn and riding rough! Cool that you are in OBX!!! Don't forget to air down driving on the beach!!! Where are you staying in OBX? If you ever want to stay in Frisco (great beaches and a stones throw from the Cape Hatteras lighthouse) give me a holler back as I have a house there that I rent out. So close to the sound - you can almost sit on the deck and fish!!

Old 08-08-2011, 11:02 PM
I was staying about 10 miles up from oregon inlet, not really sure what the area was called ha it was the first time we ever went there. I was planning on hitting the beach in the truck friday and saturday, but I woke up friday morning with my driving leg completely locked up so I ended up just scrapping the idea and had to have my sister drive my truck back from not being able to bend my leg. Not my idea of a way to spend the end of a vacation haha

Quick Reply: Need an Opinion on Tires