My truck turns Right When I Put on Brakes??

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 01:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My truck turns Right When I Put on Brakes??

I have a 2006 4x4 f-150 SLT Crewcab with the 5.4. I have a 6" Fabtech lift and 35x12.50 tires. Recently, when I put on brakes my truck pulls to the right. The steering wheels turns too. It doesn't take much to hold it straight, but if I just let it go and put on brakes, it will pull to the right. Why would this happen? It didn't do it 2 weeks ago

Old 08-19-2011, 01:07 PM

Does it do this at all speeds or just low speeds? How long and what kind of tires are you running? Any brake service to speak of? How drastic a turn is it? Could be a caliper not operating properly. Also, depending on the tires and the speed, I've had tires with a slight radial pull that would pull my wheel a bit at the end of a stop.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:52 PM
9 times outta 10 if it pulls to the right the left brake is the culprit. time for a brake inspection. Might have a bad caliper piston, pins, or brake line if there is no, or hasnt been, any grinding noises. Right is stopping left isnt so it pulls right basically. I would take it apart give it a good visual inspection. have someone push the brakes while your at the rotor. See if its grabbing at all. good luck

Old 08-19-2011, 03:19 PM
It does it most noticably going slow, less than 15 or 20. I have 35x12.50 nitto mud grapplers that only have a few thousand miles on them. I had my rotors smoothed out at O'Rilley right before I put the lift and tires on (a couple thousand miles ago). The turn is about the same as if I was merging over to the right lane. I was thinking a bad caliper too

Old 08-19-2011, 06:52 PM
do a couple quick pumps before you stop and see if it tracks straight with a little more pressure. Does your pedal sink to the floor if you keep pressure on it?

Old 08-20-2011, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by Jughed
do a couple quick pumps before you stop and see if it tracks straight with a little more pressure. Does your pedal sink to the floor if you keep pressure on it?
I'll try that out tonight. I had the brakes bled when I had the tires put on. They did it right, they used a computer to do whatever has to be done to the abs system

Old 08-20-2011, 07:06 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
There still may be air in the line or some other issue causing the left caliper not to function correctly. They may have done everything right but that doesn't mean there might not be an issue. Nobody is perfect and sometimes issues don't show themselves until the vehicle is back on the road for a bit. I would take it back to the facility you had work on the brakes and let them inspect it. Hopefully if it is just a minor adjustment needed they will take care of you.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:01 PM
mine does the same thing.. And I just put brnad new brakes on the rear, front are damn near new, and they seem to be comepletely gone at times.. Taking mine into AAMCO for their 'free' inspection/diagnostic to see what they think. I dont trust the Ford Stealership in Fort Walton beach, guy seems super sketchy

Old 08-20-2011, 08:06 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Having this issue as well.. planning to get my brakes done soon anyways

Quick Reply: My truck turns Right When I Put on Brakes??