Pics of my new wheel and tire combo

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2001, 12:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
regear it

Old 07-27-2001, 11:29 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up KYFordFreak

That's probably going to be the best for your situation. I'll bet you'll still enjoy the looks of the 265's (or 275/70). I'd go for the 265 myself. It's a 75 series so it will just "look" taller. Mine are just right . Much better then the 255's and it still has some punch.

So, will you be chippn' it soon? I don't think I'll be going that route quite yet. Don't need to be pumping $1.75/gal premiem into the darn thing. I know you can get the "flip chip" that doesn't require premiem, but I'm still from the "old school" of tinkering with engines and all that computer, electronic sensor and now no distrib. stuff makes me nervous messing around with it all. At least for now................

Mitch

Old 07-30-2001, 12:09 AM
r6racer
Don't have those kinds of funds. Would like too. If the tire dealer doesn't take these tires back after all I will save my pennies and go for the regear.

MitchF150
Yeah, I think I might chip it. Why not, heard more good than bad about them and it's the only way to really add power. Your right about being nervous with these new engines. I may be young but I always thought of tinkering with engines by changing cams and adding 4bbls. I am getting use to and having fun with this new stuff too. Want to add 26HP... Plug in a chip, want more air/fuel mixture add a air intake system and maybe a MAP sensor (to me that converts to like adding a 4bbl and intake of the old days). I still am on the line of keep or change tires. It all depends on my mood and the day. Some it feels fine and I like it others it's just the opposite, No matter which way I go I will be happy. Thanks

Old 08-01-2001, 01:10 AM
It may not looks as good but it works better!

Well, I went ahead today and had the tire shop exchange my 285's for the 265's due to the fact I hated the way the tranny would up and downshift on the interstate. I am happy to report that with the 265's that has been cut way back. Before a trip of this length (45 miles) would mean lots of up and down shifts on the inclines now it only went up and down two times.
I also had a small problem with steering wheel shake ( side to side, not a balance type feel or issue) with the 285's, I suspect that one or more front end components are worn out (ball joints, tie rods, wheel hub bearing) and the larger tires magnified the feeling. That tremble is now gone, I know that what ever is bad is still there just not nearly as noticeable.
My power has picked way back up too. I know most on here would argue that 3.55's are fine for 285's but I disagree. I like having a little punch when I step on it. I guess if I keep this truck for very much longer I will save up my pennies, get at least a 3 in body lift, gears and of course the big tires back. For now I am overall satisfied. Thanks to everybody that has listened to me moan and gripe about this for a long time now.

In other news: My next mod is sitting here on the bedroom floor waiting to be put on. It's a Rancho RS5000 steering stablizer and braket kit. Do not really need it with these smaller tires but it will help with those potholes and future mods. From the looks of it, it should hold up very well. The brakets are made out of 1/4 zinc plated steel and all hardware looks top notch. Thought I would just share my little insight and product reviews for yall.

Old 08-11-2001, 04:35 AM
That side to side shake is from your wheels needing to be balanced. I've got the 285s on mine on 16" rims, and I dont notice it at all, but then there is a ton of weights welded to the inside of the rim. As far as performance, ditch that wimpy pipe you have on there now and go with flowmaster stage 40 or 50, or check out one of gibson's stainless setups. Also, you should look into a K&N FIPK cold air induction, plus a superchip or hypertech power programmer (uses the stock setup and you can revert to factory settings with the push of a button). Check out the mods that I have below (albeit on a 5.4L)... I pulled a loaded flatbed last week and barely noticed that it was there.
T

Old 08-20-2001, 10:55 PM
Please excuse my ignorance - I'm not a tire expert. I've read several posts on this message board talking about performance drops when changing tires from 265 to 285. I thought these numbers referred to the width of the tire. If so, how does changing the tire width create a noticeable reduction in performance. I understand that changing the diameter of the tire will affect performance, but why the width?

Thanks,

Steve

Old 08-21-2001, 04:09 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking

The second part of the tire size is a percentage of the width. So on a 265/75/16, the sidewall height is 75% of 265mm. For a 285/75/16, it's 75% of 285mm, which would be a taller sidewall.

I think it works out to be that a 285 tire is almost 2" taller then a 265.

Old 08-21-2001, 07:06 PM
Sponz
Listen to MitchF150, he's right. He's talkin about the aspect ratio of the tire. In my case I downsized due to performance reasons from a 285/75/16 to a 265/75/16. In hte general math you would say there is a 2 inch difference in the tires but according to the BFG website and the math I have done it is something like an 1 1/4. That doesn't sound like much of a change but it does affect tha actual performance of the truck a great deal. If you arethinking about the 285's I would reccomend them they are very nice, fit well, and fill up the fender well. Most can handle the the loss of power which is not that much, the problem was that I drive a lot of interstate and the truck liked to up and downshift in and out of OD. Take off power was noticeably declined but it was not bad at all.

Quick Reply: Pics of my new wheel and tire combo