Any ideas? - Brake job help

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 06:56 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Any ideas? - Brake job help

Hey guys

Ok so I did a from brake job on my 2004 (nbs) 2wd with a guy I have known at work for a few years. He has gone to school and taken some courses on auto mechanics and is quite knowledgeable, esp for jobs like this. No master mechanic though.

Well I used Raybestos rotors and Wagner TQ pads. The passenger side caliper was toast as I figured so I bought a reman. one from Advance and we got everything buttoned up. We bled the passenger side and went for a test drive. It stopped great, but then the ABS light kicked on. Braking was/is excellent though. So then we bled both sides and this time there was a slight pulse for 3-5 brake stops but after that ABS light kicked on but the braking was awesome. Tried again to bleed the system, same deal. Then used Brakleen on the sensors, so change although the pulsing went away faster and then abs light kicked on. Finally had to call it a day and here we are. I think I'm gonna call Ford and have an appointment set up. The braking is leaps ahead of what it was. Do you think the sensors are just bad? I had checked a few threads on here and that seemed to happen a decent amount of time to people after a brake job, esp as the trucks age. The ABS light stays on, but again no pulsing after those first few times, just great braking

Old 09-05-2011, 08:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Did you actually check the sensors? Maybe the ABS gears on the rotors aren't being seen. maybe the sensors are gummed up too.

No ABS sensor probs with my recent centric hub conversion.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:47 PM

That's very possible Will, I found this post and it is THE EXACT SAME ISSUE. The original post in this thread. Exact

Originally Posted by KHardin1
OK, replaced front rotors and pads. Also replaced rear pads. Went for a test drive. It sounds like a grinding and bumping, pulsing in the pedal, kind of from the front driver side. After about 3 to 5 good stops, the ABS light comes on but then the noise and all stops. After the light comes on the brakes work like a new truck. If I shut the truck down it restarts this series of garbage; bad breaking until the ABS light comes on and then the brakes work great. I tried to bleed all 4 two different times. Took the tires back off and checked; everything looks fine. What could this be guys? I plan to drive to work tomorrow. Please give me some thoughts. Thanks!!!
https://www.f150online.com/forums/wh...need-help.html

Old 09-05-2011, 09:38 PM
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Let Ford do a scan on the sensor's front and rear. Front's are expensive and the rear one is fairly cheap. I had to replace one on the rear on my '04 right before I sold it.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:56 AM

I plan on doing just that PawPaw. What did you experience when yours went bad?

Old 09-06-2011, 12:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you replace the other (driver side) caliper too? I've always and have always been told to replace in pairs. Don't think it's the ABS problem but worth mentioning. See what the code is, could be a cracked pulse ring.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:41 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts
I always compare the sensor rings on the inside of the rotor to make sure they look the same, same position, tooth count, diameter etc. I wouldnt be surprised if you got a defective rotor without a sensor ring and put it on without paying attention.

you should bleed all corners not just the RF after you get all the air out of the RF

Old 09-06-2011, 06:37 PM

Hmm that's interesting Pat... never even thought of that. We bled both sides a few times after that first bleeding

Old 09-06-2011, 09:27 PM
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by TruckGuy24
I plan on doing just that PawPaw. What did you experience when yours went bad?
The light came on and stayed on but the brakes worked fine. Had it changed the day before the truck was sold.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Patman
I always compare the sensor rings on the inside of the rotor to make sure they look the same, same position, tooth count, diameter etc. I wouldnt be surprised if you got a defective rotor without a sensor ring and put it on without paying attention.

you should bleed all corners not just the RF after you get all the air out of the RF
Pat, you're good

The teeth count or gap was off... last time I do it other than the dealer. So far, every time has cost me more. Until I am set up to do it with another vehicle, dealer for stuff like this. $425 (replace rotor and I'm pissed)

Also my entire e-brake assembly needs to be replaced... the axle needs to come off to do the job right he said. With new rear brakes - around 1k. That I gotta save for

Old 09-13-2011, 12:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why the axle?

Truckguy24, Why does the axle need to come off for the rear E-Brake replacement??? Nothing on the system is tied into the axle. Did it in an hour for $40.

I just did my 2004 - Check out the write-up with pics-

https://www.f150online.com/forums/wh...04-w-pics.html

I agree with Blue20004X4 and you should replace calipers in pairs.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:48 PM

He said something about the backing plate for the ebrake? I'll have to talk to him again when I pick it up

Old 09-13-2011, 12:51 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by TruckGuy24
Pat, you're good

The teeth count or gap was off... last time I do it other than the dealer. So far, every time has cost me more. Until I am set up to do it with another vehicle, dealer for stuff like this. $425 (replace rotor and I'm pissed)

Also my entire e-brake assembly needs to be replaced... the axle needs to come off to do the job right he said. With new rear brakes - around 1k. That I gotta save for
Weird. I have used two different brands of rotors, was not aware this problem could exist, and never had a problem.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:56 PM

Yeah it's annoying, everytime I've had something done, I've had an issue. Nothing has been easy with this truck. Plug change = 1100 now this... I have 1k into the brakes (front only!!!) after this. Imagine

Old 09-13-2011, 01:00 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Quick Reply: Any ideas? - Brake job help