Duplicolor Black Chrome Wheel paint

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 09:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Duplicolor Black Chrome Wheel paint

Well I've been throwing the idea around with using that product on my factory stock wheels. Finally took some time to clean/polich the wheels and layed down the paint.

I like the way it turned out. Still had some nice shine but gives it the black look.

One thing I must mention. They give a green tint to them at times too....just so you know.

Figured I'd post this for those who were curious on how this stuff looks.

I used the entire can for all 4 wheels.

I painted my calipers red, so it looks real nice since the rim is darker.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:35 AM
Feel free to leave posetive or even negative comments.
I personaly like the look, but enjoy reading comments from others.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think it works on your truck because you have tinted windows, headlights, etc. IMO what hurts the looks is your tires. I think a set of larger, more aggressive tires would make them look much, much better. No offense, but I personally don't care those Uniroyals.

Old 09-09-2011, 03:14 PM
I think the wheels look great. I have thought about painting part of the wheels on my truck. I may replace them and just sell the old wheels and tires. The wheels I have now look like aluminum DC2s. I was thinking about painting them to look like DC2s but not sure if it is worth the time and materials. I can buy DC2s for around $140.00 each. Pulling my tires off of the wheels so that I could paint them would be a major inconvenience. Taking the time to paint them is the bigger problem. I do not have a lot of time for projects like that. Saving between $500 & $600 bucks sounds very appealing now but may prove to be not so smart if I mess up the paint job! How long did it take you to paint your wheels? Did you clear coat them afterwards? Were you happy with the coverage from the Duplicolor cans of paint? How much did you spend on the paint? (If you don't mind me asking?)

Old 09-12-2011, 09:16 AM
Originally Posted by smmpa
I think the wheels look great. I have thought about painting part of the wheels on my truck. I may replace them and just sell the old wheels and tires. The wheels I have now look like aluminum DC2s. I was thinking about painting them to look like DC2s but not sure if it is worth the time and materials. I can buy DC2s for around $140.00 each. Pulling my tires off of the wheels so that I could paint them would be a major inconvenience. Taking the time to paint them is the bigger problem. I do not have a lot of time for projects like that. Saving between $500 & $600 bucks sounds very appealing now but may prove to be not so smart if I mess up the paint job! How long did it take you to paint your wheels? Did you clear coat them afterwards? Were you happy with the coverage from the Duplicolor cans of paint? How much did you spend on the paint? (If you don't mind me asking?)

Paint was about $20. It comes in a kit. Paint and clear coat.

I used the full can of paint, and laid down about 3 coats of clear.

As for painting them. I did it when it was warm out. I used news paper and cramed it in the spoke sections where the hole is. that way no paint goes behind the wheel or hits the brakes/rotors. Worked nicely.

I did several coats, so there were no runs. Key is take your time.

I put the news paper in each spoke hole on all rims. Then laid down paint on each wheel and moved on. I did 3-4 coats on each wheel to achieve the darkness. That's the nice thing about this paint you can go dark or light.

Big note: Make sure you clean the rims good. I polished them up and wipes everthing clean!!!!

It took maybe 1-2 hours to do.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:32 AM
I used the Duplicolor Wheel Paint (flat black) over a coat of Bulldog Adhesion Promoter but I still get chipping paint and often once a year have to repaint one coat. The stuff isn't durable like Powder-Coat.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:10 AM
I like it, good job being original too! It is not the dull flat black which is done a lot. I'd like to see it in person better because the photo's I'll bet does it no justice. The tires in my opinion need to be black sidewalls, just my 2 cents.

Old 09-12-2011, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by 4.2xl2001
I used the Duplicolor Wheel Paint (flat black) over a coat of Bulldog Adhesion Promoter but I still get chipping paint and often once a year have to repaint one coat. The stuff isn't durable like Powder-Coat.
I used regular duplicolor paint last winter on my audi wheels and laid down about 4 coats of clear and 4 coats of black.....it handled the winter/salt find.

You're right, it's no powder coating....but think about all the cost with power coating and mount/dismount of tires....lets not forget the downtime of not having your wheels on your truck.

I would say the biggest thing is prep work and the amount of layers you lay down.

If it was a show truck, I'd go a different route....but it's my daily driver and as long it does'nt flake off or look like a 5 minute job it suits me good ...I've gotten several compliments.

If it comes off over the winter I'll report back on that

Old 09-12-2011, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by BLUE20004X4
I like it, good job being original too! It is not the dull flat black which is done a lot. I'd like to see it in person better because the photo's I'll bet does it no justice. The tires in my opinion need to be black sidewalls, just my 2 cents.

Thanks! I did them in the garage where it was a little darker.
I kind of wish I would have done it in the sun or atleast had my garage lights on so it wouldn't have come out as dark to see what it looked like and then added more. I was on a time crunch though and knew I wasnted it dark.

It's a weird color. Like I mentioned at times it gives it a dark green look. I think its because the chrome is so shiney .

Quick Reply: Duplicolor Black Chrome Wheel paint