Burnt metal smell

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 09:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Burnt metal smell

Please forgive me if this is in the wrong forum, as I don't know where this smell is coming from.
The first time I noticed this "burnt metal smell" I was on the highway and I thought the semi in front of me had hot brakes. I passed the semi and the smell continued. When I got home I got my infrared thermometer and "scanned" the front rotors. 180 degrees, the wheels were not hot. Scanned trans pan, 135, transfer case luke warm to the touch same with front diff. Rear diff was hot to the touch which I've read is normal. All drivetrain fluids are fresh (amsoil) and are correct viscosity etc. P.S. fluid is also fresh(amsoil trans fluid). Pads and rotors are new same with the hubs. After driving on the highway since, and still getting that smell, Ive stuck my head in both front wheel wells, no smell. Popped the hood, no smell. crawled under the truck, no smell. I only smell it in the cab, and now I smell it all the time on the highway. No smoke that I can see. I'm at a loss. Anyone have any ideas?

Old 09-13-2011, 12:23 PM
have you tried taking a shower? Or maybe a new deodorant?

just kidding

its gotta be some component wearing out... have you tried scanning other items with your IR thermometer? Maybe the pullies on your fan belt, maybe your alternator. I'd check anything with bearings... maybe the bearings are about to fail and its getting too hot

Old 09-13-2011, 12:28 PM
How about a leaking heater core in the dash?

Quick Reply: Burnt metal smell