Warped rear rotors also??

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 08:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warped rear rotors also??

I just replaced the rotors and pads on the front of my 04 F150 because they were warped. This summer I had the brake controller go out when we were going camping, so I to pull our 5000 lb camper and 500-600lbs in the bed for about 120 miles with just the truck brakes.

Now after replacing the front pads and rotors the steering wheel shake is completely gone. But when braking I still have the warped rotor feel through the seat of my pants and also very slight feed back through the brake pedal. The only thing that I can come up with is that the rear rotors are warped also. What do you guys think?

Old 10-01-2011, 08:35 PM
My truck is currently doing this and it is because the rear rotors are the 11 year old stock ones. Ill be changing mine this monday. The rears rotors have no fins in them so they are a little more prone to warpage especially if theyve been turned (less metal means quicker warpage)

Old 10-01-2011, 09:21 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Brake lines or line is shot. Over expanded, broken down on the inside and now to restrictive to control the twin piston system equally. Small pieces also compromise flow. ONE caliper piston has applied pressure vs both, equally any way. This over heats the hardware, disfiguring/warping along with other front end problems.

IMO, all Ford truck lines should have received braided lines. At the very least on the front. Unfortunately, they have not.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by PHS79
I just replaced the rotors and pads on the front of my 04 F150 because they were warped. This summer I had the brake controller go out when we were going camping, so I to pull our 5000 lb camper and 500-600lbs in the bed for about 120 miles with just the truck brakes.

Now after replacing the front pads and rotors the steering wheel shake is completely gone. But when braking I still have the warped rotor feel through the seat of my pants and also very slight feed back through the brake pedal. The only thing that I can come up with is that the rear rotors are warped also. What do you guys think?
Can I ask you what rotors you got? I was just going to get some cheap china made **** from ebay and some new pads because my steering wheel shakes too. While driving with and without braking.

Thanks
-Derrick

Old 10-06-2011, 10:49 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by jbrew
Brake lines or line is shot. Over expanded, broken down on the inside and now to restrictive to control the twin piston system equally. Small pieces also compromise flow. ONE caliper piston has applied pressure vs both, equally any way. This over heats the hardware, disfiguring/warping along with other front end problems.

IMO, all Ford truck lines should have received braided lines. At the very least on the front. Unfortunately, they have not.
Yep......

Old 10-06-2011, 09:26 PM
Originally Posted by VerTDznS
Can I ask you what rotors you got? I was just going to get some cheap china made **** from ebay and some new pads because my steering wheel shakes too. While driving with and without braking.

Thanks
-Derrick
I got dimpled and sloted rotors from Brakeperformance.com, I love them so far! But then again I only have about 100 miles on them too. I was thinking about waiting until spring to do the rears since in another 6 weeks or so the truck will be parked until the snow is gone, but I think I may do them yet this fall.

Old 10-08-2011, 01:36 AM
Easy way to tell if they're warped is to remove the tire(s) and put a dial indicator on the rotor and turn them by hand to see if they are out of tolerance.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:17 PM
Just a quick update, I ordered the new dimpled and slotted rotors and premium pads 2 weeks ago for the rear of my 04 and also for the front of my wifes 05 Focus. On the Focus, WOW!! What a difference, although the stockers had over over 117,000 miles on the original set.

But back to my truck. I had a local garage install the rears on my truck yesterday. When they tore into it they found the drivers side rear caliper was froze up, which is what caused the rotor to warp. Parts and labor from the shop was $140, 70 for labor (installing the new caliper, rotors and pads) and $70 for the new caliper. The pads and rotors were $230 shipped. The truck feels like it will stop on a dime now!! Very happy with the whole set-up!!

Quick Reply: Warped rear rotors also??