Vibration While braking

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2001, 11:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 97+ 4x4s use a sealed bearing hub. You cannot service the bearings! If you have problems with the hubs, you replace the whole unit! It is non-serviceable

The 4x2s have the bearings in the rotors.

So when you talk brakes and bearings, you need to specify the 2wd or 4wd truck as they are vastly different. Also the 4x4s have the dual piston calipers.

For the 2wd front bearings you HAVE To use EXTREME PRESSURE CV joint grease! NOt the synthetic, not the off the shelf stuff! If not, you fry bearings every 1k. Also check the torque sequence in the manual. If it is like the stock brakes on my mustang, you have to torque to 35 ft-lbs, back off 1/8 turn than torque to 16 in-lbs. So DOUBLE and TRIPPLE check the torque specs and watch the FT-LBs and IN-Lbs. 12" in a foot, just remember that.

Old 08-24-2001, 02:50 PM
Matt,
Thanks for the input.

From Valvoline's web site, for the Synpower PN985 Grease, "Recommended for: all U.S., European and Japanese vehicles to lubricate and protect disc brake wheel bearings, chassis, suspension, universal joints and constant velocity (CV) joints."

I have used Valvoline's Durablend for years on my trailer drum brakes and hubs, and probably would have used it on my front (4x2) wheel bearings, but wanted more protection, based on what I saw with the Mobil1 Synthetic. Synpower is Valvoline's highest rated grease for automotive (over the counter).

If there is a grease that you would reccomend, please let us know. Back when I first relined the brakes (~June), I posted the questions about grease. I receieved 0.0 responses. At least now, I have sone information and experience to share with others.

Tony

Last edited by F150Tony; 08-24-2001 at 03:03 PM.
Old 08-24-2001, 07:01 PM
It has to be rated for "extreme pressure CV". It is a different rating than the CV stuff. Sorry I do not know the technicals beyond that. Here is what my Mustang manual says is recommended: "NLGI No.2 grease"

Usually a store like Napa will have that extreme pressure CV joints grease.

Here is the torque sequence for the 2wds in the Haynes manual:

Tighten the spindle nut ONLY to 12 ft-lbs. spin the hub/rotor in a forward direction while tightening the spindle nut to 30 ft-lbs to seat the bearings. Loosen the spindle nut 1/4 turn, then using your hand tighten the nut until it is snug. install the nut lock and cotter pin.

Try the amsoil products also:

http://www.amsoil.com/products/ghd.html

If you want some, email me. I can hook you up on them.

matt

Old 08-24-2001, 07:14 PM
I went searching thru the various greases for you. Pretty much the temperature is the big difference. most have the NLGI #2 rating, but the temp is very different:

Valvoline:
Provides superior high and low temperature protection (-65°F to 420°F) versus conventional greases
Is moly-fortified for increased film strength
Is an NLGI #2 GC-LB lithium complex EP grease

Amsoil:
Moly Fortified for added EP protection
Adhesive and Shear Stable - prevents squeeze out
High dropping point (exceeds 500ºF)
Excellent water-washout resistance
Oxidation and corrosion inhibited

Mobil1-

Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease provides the following advantages and benefits:

All-purpose automotive service
Operating range of -37°C (-35°F) to +232°C (+450°F)
Excellent resistance to rust and corrosion
Outstanding structural stability
Excellent wear protection under heavy loads
Good shock loading protection
Excellent resistance to water wash
Outstanding service life

You can see the heat ranges. All those sites have the listed specs there. one thing to remember in wheel bearings is that they will never get colder with use! Always hotter!

Last edited by Matt90GT; 08-24-2001 at 11:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Vibration While braking