Brake pad suggestions please

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 12:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake pad suggestions please

I don't know much about the different kinds/manufacturers of bake pads, so I need some suggestions. My mom's Toyota 4Runner needs new pads. It's just her daily driver, not lifted, not lowered, no towing, no racing, etc... I was just wondering what some moderately priced good pads for her would be. Thanks

Old 10-07-2011, 12:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MossyOak3006
I don't know much about the different kinds/manufacturers of bake pads, so I need some suggestions. My mom's Toyota 4Runner needs new pads. It's just her daily driver, not lifted, not lowered, no towing, no racing, etc... I was just wondering what some moderately priced good pads for her would be. Thanks
I put a set of Wagner Thermoquiet Ceramics on my Expd and they have been great. Put a set of Akebono ceramics pads on my father's Explorer, and they have lasted forever with great performance.

Old 10-07-2011, 01:29 PM
I had a Tacoma and had great luck with the toyota brake pads. The way those calipers are engineered (should be 4 piston), as long as you dont go cheap you will be fine. Check your prices grab a set of Wagner TQs or similar she will be fine.

Old 10-07-2011, 01:34 PM
Another vote for Wagner thermo quiet ceramics. Put them on my girlfriends truck and every time i drive it I almost make her hit her head on the windshield because I am not expecting them to work that good.

I am in the process of putting them on my truck now, have them in the rear but waiting a bit to put them on the front since I want to get new rotors and hubs while Im at it. but with just the rears it is much better

Old 10-07-2011, 04:22 PM
looks like I'm going with wagner thermo quiet. Thanks everybody

Old 10-07-2011, 04:53 PM
I have Hawk ceramics and I'm happy with them. Great stopping power and little to no brake dust.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:01 PM
I was not very impressed with my hawks I had.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:26 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Powerstop ceramics with drilled and slotted work pretty damn good for me.
Member id brakemotive76 on ebay has great prices on rotors and pads. they were 10 times better than stock with no brake fade at all.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by azmidget91
Another vote for Wagner thermo quiet ceramics. Put them on my girlfriends truck and every time i drive it I almost make her hit her head on the windshield because I am not expecting them to work that good.
I will put the wagners on my wife edge tomorrow then we are going for a drive. Somewhere where there is a lot of stop signs,,,,and train crossings,,,,,,,and school zones,,,,,,,and deer crossings

Old 10-07-2011, 07:23 PM
Be sure to break them in properly, moderately brake down from 35 to 5mph then repeat 10 or so times

Old 10-07-2011, 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by azmidget91
Be sure to break them in properly, moderately brake down from 35 to 5mph then repeat 10 or so times
I didn't know about that. Is that all you have to do?

Old 10-09-2011, 12:31 PM
From page 15, Federal Mogul (Wagner) Troubleshooting guide:

"Disc Pad and Brake Shoe Burnish Procedure
An effective burnish cycle to seat the friction materials into the opposing rotor and drum surfaces requires approximately 200 stops. The 200 stops is consistent with the burnish procedure in the FMVSS 105. As a practical matter for installers, 200 stops probably will not happen since few installers have all day to make that number of stops. Therefore, we recommend the following burnish procedure:
• Make approximately 20 complete stops from 30-mph or 20 “slow downs” from 50-mph to 20-mph with light to moderate pedal pressure
• NO PANIC STOPS
• Allow at least 30 seconds between brake applications for the brake pads or shoes to cool down
• No high speed stops and/or braking under heavy loads that could
result in glazed or otherwise damaged linings Using these guidelines, the friction materials will have conformed to the surface of the rotors and drums for improved stopping performance. In addition, the thermal conditioning of the friction materials during this process will increase the stability of braking effectiveness over a greater range of temperatures compared to when they were first installed."

Old 10-09-2011, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by Jughed
From page 15, Federal Mogul (Wagner) Troubleshooting guide:

"Disc Pad and Brake Shoe Burnish Procedure
An effective burnish cycle to seat the friction materials into the opposing rotor and drum surfaces requires approximately 200 stops. The 200 stops is consistent with the burnish procedure in the FMVSS 105. As a practical matter for installers, 200 stops probably will not happen since few installers have all day to make that number of stops. Therefore, we recommend the following burnish procedure:
• Make approximately 20 complete stops from 30-mph or 20 “slow downs” from 50-mph to 20-mph with light to moderate pedal pressure
• NO PANIC STOPS
• Allow at least 30 seconds between brake applications for the brake pads or shoes to cool down
• No high speed stops and/or braking under heavy loads that could
result in glazed or otherwise damaged linings Using these guidelines, the friction materials will have conformed to the surface of the rotors and drums for improved stopping performance. In addition, the thermal conditioning of the friction materials during this process will increase the stability of braking effectiveness over a greater range of temperatures compared to when they were first installed."
Thanks

Old 10-10-2011, 04:48 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have the Hawk LTS metallic pads on my '07 with Powerslot slotted disks. Perform great, good combo. I had the Wagner semi-metallic ThermoQuiets on the old truck, performed just as good on a more affordable cost to the Hawks.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:24 AM
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
I have the Hawk LTS metallic pads on my '07 with Powerslot slotted disks. Perform great, good combo. I had the Wagner semi-metallic ThermoQuiets on the old truck, performed just as good on a more affordable cost to the Hawks.
I've hear that the slotted disks wear down brake pads faster than smooth disks. Is that true?

Quick Reply: Brake pad suggestions please