Disable TPMS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 06:37 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Disable TPMS?

I tried a search but resulted in nothing helpful. I have the 20s & 33s I originally ordered for my 04 on my current '07. They were originally ordered without TPMS since that stuff didn't come around for the F-series until 2007. After throwing the wheels on I got the TPMS fault message and light illuminated within 60 some miles. Can I disable it all together to not read? I am perfectly capable of manually monitoring my wheels to verify they each have the 45psi I prefer to run in these aftermarket wheels. I don't want to have the tires removed and sensors installed since I don't want to risk balance issues of re-balanced tires, plus its an added cost. Any input?

Old 10-07-2011, 07:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry..the TPMS system cannot be disabled.....FEDERAL LAW You have two choices
1. Tape over the light (it's a led, so cannot be removed)
2. Install the proper TPMS Sensors. You can get the stem type for the 07 instead of the bands. one being Oro-Tek # OSE-7635 from Revolution Supply Co.

One thing to keep in mind in this day and age...Insurance company's would look for anything to dis-allow a claim to include compromised safety items on a vehicle....Your Choice

Old 10-09-2011, 01:15 PM
I've always read that you can't disable TPMS because it's a safety feature. However, as many of you know I recently sold my Screw and bought a Jeep. I've found that a few of the aftermarket computer tuners for the Wranglers allow you to disable their TPMS.

Old 10-09-2011, 01:37 PM

Ok thanks folks. I'll stick with the legal route ( excuse my tint though ) and get the stems or bands eventually. I just don't want to remove the tires and open the chance for a scratched XD rim or balance issues.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:06 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
I want pics Darren, you should know better

Old 10-09-2011, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
Ok thanks folks. I'll stick with the legal route ( excuse my tint though ) and get the stems or bands eventually. I just don't want to remove the tires and open the chance for a scratched XD rim or balance issues.
Darren WS6...If it was me I would get the stem type I posted above. I have those in my summer set of wheels and have no problems. That way you would only have to break one bead down to install. Then have the dealer re-set the system for the sensors or go to eBay or the dealer and get the inexpensive calibration tool.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by wandell
I've always read that you can't disable TPMS because it's a safety feature. However, as many of you know I recently sold my Screw and bought a Jeep. I've found that a few of the aftermarket computer tuners for the Wranglers allow you to disable their TPMS.
I find that very interesting, as this is a Federal Law we are talking about. With all the stupid legalities involved in today's world, with lawsuits and such, I wouldn't take the chance, but that's just me.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:14 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
actually IIRC it was 06 when TPMS was first used.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:16 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Old 10-09-2011, 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by Patman
or you could always do the TPMS bomb

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-s...pipe-bomb.html
Unless they have changed the system in our trucks this will not work..it has been tried before and failed. The computer checks the sensors while sitting still and after the vehicle is moving..it makes two types of signals and the sensors have to be in motion to get an 'ok' to the system. Do a search, members have done the "Bomb" type thing, put all the sensors in the spare, I think almost everything has been tried with failure every time. Why in h**l just do what is right and legal in the first place..why try to defeat a system that is designed for the incompetent that cannot keep an eye on their tire pressure. For most of us, this an everyday thing to at least look at the tires for an obvious 'soft' one, but there are many more out there will be going down the freeway at 80+ mph with tires that are ready to blow up due to heat generated from under inflation. That is why the system became a federal thing a few years ago. If you want to defeat it's purpose..stay off the roads and keep from putting mine and many other families in danger.....rant over !!!

Old 10-10-2011, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by TruckGuy24
I want pics Darren, you should know better
You are right that was rude of me :o. I'll post a thread later on after work today. If your too impatient, check Facebook news feed, or my album. I uploaded the photos last night.

Originally Posted by sam1947
Unless they have changed the system in our trucks this will not work..it has been tried before and failed. The computer checks the sensors while sitting still and after the vehicle is moving..it makes two types of signals and the sensors have to be in motion to get an 'ok' to the system. Do a search, members have done the "Bomb" type thing, put all the sensors in the spare, I think almost everything has been tried with failure every time. Why in h**l just do what is right and legal in the first place..why try to defeat a system that is designed for the incompetent that cannot keep an eye on their tire pressure. For most of us, this an everyday thing to at least look at the tires for an obvious 'soft' one, but there are many more out there will be going down the freeway at 80+ mph with tires that are ready to blow up due to heat generated from under inflation. That is why the system became a federal thing a few years ago. If you want to defeat it's purpose..stay off the roads and keep from putting mine and many other families in danger.....rant over !!!
I wasn't meaning to heat up the place nor at all imply I wanted to defy the law or cause a safety hazard. I just wanted to disable the light and message at a cheap cost, through my gryphon I was hoping. I do thoroughly check my tire pressure and my tires were made July 2009. As said, I will fix it the legal and responsible way.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:24 AM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
I just looked Darren, are still planning on a different set of wheels? They look good, but that truck cries for some chrome

Old 10-10-2011, 01:31 PM

Old 10-10-2011, 01:37 PM
[QUOTE=I wasn't meaning to heat up the place nor at all imply I wanted to defy the law or cause a safety hazard. I just wanted to disable the light and message at a cheap cost, through my gryphon I was hoping. I do thoroughly check my tire pressure and my tires were made July 2009. As said, I will fix it the legal and responsible way.[/QUOTE]

This wasn't aimed at you Darren..I see so many things that get under my old skin it just get's to me sometimes. DO NOT take it personal. Was just having a bad evening

Old 10-11-2011, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by sam1947
I find that very interesting, as this is a Federal Law we are talking about. With all the stupid legalities involved in today's world, with lawsuits and such, I wouldn't take the chance, but that's just me.
After looking, I think the tuners for the JK Wranglers allow you to adjust the pressure that the TPMS light is triggered. Apparantly they allow you to adjust the tire pressure all the way down to 0 psi, which effectively disables the system.

Quick Reply: Disable TPMS?