Why am I only getting brake dust on one wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 03:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why am I only getting brake dust on one wheel?

A few months ago I noticed the front driver's side pads were worn more than the passenger, and the driver's rotor was scored. I thought it might be the driver's side caliper and I preemptively replaced everything on both sides; lines, calipers, rotors, and pads (Duralast Ceramic, which I've used for years). I thought for sure I had fixed the problem, but after about 4k miles, I can clearly see the front driver's side wheel is covered in brake dust while the passenger side is relatively clean. I'm stumped and turn to you, oh gods of all things Ford and interwebs...BTW, it's an '03 F150 5.4. Thanks for any insight.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:30 PM
I had the same thing happen to me on my 2010. The driver side rotor was completely ruined after 3,000 miles of use from new. The dealer said they should have charged me for the repairs because it was not under warranty. They had no explanation why all the other rotors were in perfect condition, and the drivers side was toast.

Old 10-29-2011, 12:29 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
check the line from the ABS unit which is under the fuse box in the engine compartment. clogged line will reduce preasure to the caliber on that side. Go to a large parking lot and get up some speed and the let go of the steering wheel and hit the brakes hard, If it pulls in a direction the the caliber on the opposit side is the one that has the problem. I would remove the line and blow it out the bleed it real good. Good Luck.

Old 10-31-2011, 12:07 PM
sounds to me like a dragging brake on the one side... if you check it after driving is the dirty side a lot hotter than the clean side? This would confirm a dragging brake

Quick Reply: Why am I only getting brake dust on one wheel?