Brake Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 10:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Issue?

My brakes have been weird lately. Whenever im on dirt roads, rough roads or hit my brakes on potholes something just isnt working right. It kinda feels like im on ice and the pedal doesnt like to go down, kinda scares me sometimes. If im on smooth paved roads it doesnt ever do it. I even try slamming on the brakes and they work fine as long as its on smooth roads. The brakes never make any noise. My rotors and pads are less than a year old. I had a tire shop check it out about 3 weeks ago and they said everything looks fine. Any ideas? Could air be in the lines?

Old 11-10-2011, 10:57 PM
This is on a 2wd btw

Old 11-11-2011, 10:19 AM
How fast are you going on these roads, the bumpy ones? If the brakes work fine on paved roads, there is nothing wrong. The ABS is probably kicking in and out being on uneven surfaces and skipping because there is nothing consistent to grab onto. Be more careful, the brakes are fine.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:33 PM
I understand what your saying about the abs, but ive owned the truck since its was new and its never done this before. I travel the same dirt road everyday for years and it never gave me a problem. They work fine on paved roads that are flat and no kind of potholes, or bumps in the road. Truck as 80k on it now, I just thought i would have noticed it before now

Old 11-15-2011, 12:13 PM
Sounds to me like ABS activation. You say it only happens on dirt roads, rough roads, and potholes.... these are all situations that can cause a loss of traction. If one wheel loses traction and locks up it kicks on ABS.

I've had ABS activate before with potholes.

As to why it just started... its cause your truck is getting old
(Time to buy as new one!)
... you are probably losing traction quicker as your tires and shocks are worn. If you want to fix it I would replace both. (maybe your tires are newer? Then just replace the shocks)

Quick Reply: Brake Issue?