Aftermarket Rims and Tire Pressure Sensors, How do you deal with it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 08:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket Rims and Tire Pressure Sensors, How do you deal with it?

I have a 2010 FX2 and planing on puting aftermarket rims on it. And had JUST realized that it has Tire Pressure Sensor on each tire. I have searched in here but realy havent seen a thread that is not over 3 years old and dont have my same question.
Seems like if I am wanting to sell my tire/rim combo the best way to do this is to sell the sensors with them. So this means I will either have to buy a set of sensors for my new rims/tires and pay to have them installed...OR disable the alarm some how.....What does most of yall do???...Thanx

Old 11-25-2011, 08:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The alarm can not be disabled. You can get a set of sensors and the valve stems they are mounted to for about $150 for a set of 4. Either that or just get a set of valve stems and remove the sensors from the old tires.

Old 11-25-2011, 09:29 PM
Thanx...not what I wanted to hear....But I wouldnt want to sell the tires without the sensors in them...Plus it would seem to be a pain to try to take them apart just to get the sensors out.....

Old 11-25-2011, 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by katpeeler
Thanx...not what I wanted to hear....But I wouldnt want to sell the tires without the sensors in them...Plus it would seem to be a pain to try to take them apart just to get the sensors out.....
To put new ones in, you are going to have to partly break down the new ones and replace the valve stems anyhow. By reusing the old ones, you save the cost of new sensors at least.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:55 PM
Would I be better off to buy the sensors from the tire shop or get my own from the net and then let the tire shop put them on??....If so can you recomend me a style/brand to buy??....Like I was saying Im going to try to sell the stock tires/rims when I get new ones and they might be easier to sell if I have the sensors in them...

Old 11-26-2011, 09:16 AM
Best type are the valve stem mounted. Just make sure whatever you buy is compatible with the 2010 F150. You can get them anywhere, including online from Ford. I purchased mine from Tasca. You could also look at Rock Auto and other online Ford dealers. There are OE parts on Ebay also. Need to just shop around.
If you look at the Ford sites, look under electrical.
Once you have them on, just follow the reset procedures in your owners manual.

Old 11-26-2011, 11:05 AM
When I changed tire/rim combo I left my sensors in and purchased new ones for the new tires. I did not sell my OEM tires just in case I need to put them back on I don't have to worry about breaking down 8 tires to change sensors around..

Old 11-26-2011, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by KingRanch4Life
When I changed tire/rim combo I left my sensors in and purchased new ones for the new tires. I did not sell my OEM tires just in case I need to put them back on I don't have to worry about breaking down 8 tires to change sensors around..
One thing about yours is it is the strap type where you have to break down the tire/rim to get to it. The valve stem type is much easier to get to. Just air the tire down and break the seal at the valve stem. Remove the sensor by unscrewing it, then re-inflate.

Old 11-26-2011, 01:57 PM
Or you could just skip the TPMS period and live with the dash indicator light.

Old 11-26-2011, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by wandell
Or you could just skip the TPMS period and live with the dash indicator light.
Unfortunately with the 09 up it is not just a little light.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:21 PM
nope...it's just a little light....I run with no sensors all winter (3-4 months), I wasn't going to buy sensors for my winter tires/rims so I just do my best to ignore the light.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by Fogducker
nope...it's just a little light....I run with no sensors all winter (3-4 months), I wasn't going to buy sensors for my winter tires/rims so I just do my best to ignore the light.
Unfortunately, mine isn't. It puts up a message every time you start the vehicle and blocks out all other things in the message center. Have to hit the reset button every time, and have had it come back on after a time period. That's why I have 2 sets of sensors, one for winter tires and 1 for summer tires. Reset between takes about 2 minutes.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by kingfish51
Unfortunately, mine isn't. It puts up a message every time you start the vehicle and blocks out all other things in the message center. Have to hit the reset button every time, and have had it come back on after a time period. That's why I have 2 sets of sensors, one for winter tires and 1 for summer tires. Reset between takes about 2 minutes.
Can you explain the reset? I am looking to do the same thing with summer and winter tires and would like to know what it takes to reprogram between sets? Will I need to purchase a tool to reset them? Can I purchase a tool to reset them.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by barneyz71
Can you explain the reset? I am looking to do the same thing with summer and winter tires and would like to know what it takes to reprogram between sets? Will I need to purchase a tool to reset them? Can I purchase a tool to reset them.
What year is yours? If 2010 or above, you do not need to buy a tool. There is a reset procedure in the owners manual. If 07-09, you can buy a reset tool from the dealer for about $25 ore probably cheaper on ebay. Not sure if the tool is different between the 09 and earlier as the sensors between them is different. A sensor on an 09 will not work on 07 or 08.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by kingfish51
What year is yours? If 2010 or above, you do not need to buy a tool. There is a reset procedure in the owners manual. If 07-09, you can buy a reset tool from the dealer for about $25 ore probably cheaper on ebay. Not sure if the tool is different between the 09 and earlier as the sensors between them is different. A sensor on an 09 will not work on 07 or 08.
I don't have it yet but it will be a 2012 when it gets here. So what TPMS's will I need to purchase for the new wheels? Will they need to be OEM?

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Rims and Tire Pressure Sensors, How do you deal with it?