air pressure for GY Silent Armor load D?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 10:37 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dkstone05
Too early in the morning....I'm the OP
Your right. That's what happens when you don't read real carefully. As far as calculation, it works out almost perfectly at 40-41 psi, not in the 30s. Going up to 45 would be a good idea if towing.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:53 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I checked my tires this morning and they were at 46psi...not the 50psi the shop put in. However the air temperature when installed was around 45 degrees and this morning it was 32 degrees. So I guess this explains the 4 psi difference.
Not really. On average, there's a 1 psi difference per 10 degrees. This is less aggrivated the bigger the tire.

but the shop uses nitrogen and I thought that nitrogen wasn't supposed the change that much with air temperature?

Anyway for giggles I took them down to 44 psi just to see what would happen on my 20 mile commute to work. Once I got to work they were just a shade under 50psi after the 20 mile hwy drive.

If used the calculations I think I would be in the mid 30's psi but this is very rough as I'm not sure of the weight of my truck let alone weight per axle. I think I feel more comfortable with a minimum of 40-45psi for an general air pressure with out needing to air up for loads as an air compressor isn't always easily accessible. This unless I see excess wear in the center.
From what you've said here, I'd be willing to wager your tire shop didn't use the nitrogen. Also, don't forget (now that you've aired your tires down) if you add air to pump them back up any, the benefits of the nitrogen are negated.

There was another thread on nitrogen not to long ago...lots of information but I'll summarize for you; not worth it.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Galaxy
Not really. On average, there's a 1 psi difference per 10 degrees. This is less aggrivated the bigger the tire.

From what you've said here, I'd be willing to wager your tire shop didn't use the nitrogen. Also, don't forget (now that you've aired your tires down) if you add air to pump them back up any, the benefits of the nitrogen are negated.

There was another thread on nitrogen not to long ago...lots of information but I'll summarize for you; not worth it.
I'm not concerned with nitrogen at all. This shop says that all they use as a default. Possibly my pressure gauge is off which I have a couple more laying around to check against.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not concerned with nitrogen at all. This shop says that all they use as a default. Possibly my pressure gauge is off which I have a couple more laying around to check against.
Tire size and gas type doesn't really impact how much the pressure changes with temperature. If the temperature rises 5%, the pressure will rise a little less than 5% (temperature measurement is absolute temp). The pressure rises a little less due to the tire volume expanding a little.

To convert from absolute temperature to fahrenheit, you add 460 degrees. An example, pressure = 35 PSI at 70 degrees F, now what will it be (roughly) at 0 degrees? 35 * 460 / (460+70) = 30.3 PSI. Again, the pressure will change a little less due to the tire volume being a little larger at 35 PSI (less bulge at the ground).

Quick Reply: air pressure for GY Silent Armor load D?