Yes or no to wheel spacers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 10:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes or no to wheel spacers?

I got some 1.5 inch wheel spacers for my 2001 sepercrew and when i put just the front two on to see how they looked,but when i drove witht them theymade awful vibrations! do you think with the rear ones on as well that i would still have this problem? i love the way they look but if there going to be dangerous then i dont want them. Thanks

Old 12-26-2011, 11:13 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd try to return them.

Old 12-26-2011, 11:55 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
General concensus is to walk away. However, there's tons of guys posted up that have been using them for quite a while with zero problems. One thing I've noticed from time to time around here is a lot of guys saying don't do it that have never used them and the guys reporting no problems are experienced with them. Problems with them seem isolated, so do your own homework and make your own informed decisions and risk assessment. Long story short, you'll most likely get nothing useful from this thread beyond a 50/50 split on using them or not. If you use them, find some quality ones that replace the studs. There are quality ones out there for sure.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:52 PM
The ones that people seem to have success with DID NOT come from ebay. So, if yours did, then get rid of them and look for a descent set from a reputable company that makes them. A good set of 4 will be $300+, so most people just end up buying a new set of rims with less backspace instead

Old 12-27-2011, 08:47 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
an out of balance issue is a quality control item- return them...as for spacers in general, they are for trailer queens and should never be used on a daily driver.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Galaxy
General consensus is to walk away. However, there's tons of guys posted up that have been using them for quite a while with zero problems. One thing I've noticed from time to time around here is a lot of guys saying don't do it that have never used them and the guys reporting no problems are experienced with them. Problems with them seem isolated, so do your own homework and make your own informed decisions and risk assessment. Long story short, you'll most likely get nothing useful from this thread beyond a 50/50 split on using them or not. If you use them, find some quality ones that replace the studs. There are quality ones out there for sure.
Originally Posted by 04heritagef150
The ones that people seem to have success with DID NOT come from eBay. So, if yours did, then get rid of them and look for a descent set from a reputable company that makes them. A good set of 4 will be $300+, so most people just end up buying a new set of rims with less backspace instead
Exactly what these fellas are saying, do some research and don't be stingy, you get what you pay for. I have run 2.0" wheel adapters on my 05 for many miles and years, not one issue. Install them correctly, check them often and you should not have any issues. If you have just a spacer and getting a vibration, adding the rears won't help. Something is not tight or the studs are too short. Dump the spacers and get adapters designed for your hub and stud length. Good luck.

Last edited by Dog'em; 01-05-2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:10 AM
I don't recommend them, but if your gonna get them spend the money and do it right, you don't want a wheel falling off going 60 down the highway because you wanted to save some cash. Expect to spend at least 300 for a decent set of them. But if your having a vibration that's definitely a bad sign and that means you need to return them and get either the right ones or different wheels.

Trending Topics

Old 12-29-2011, 11:57 PM
I purchased a set from titan wheel accessories. 1.5" adapter. I'm waiting on the last two to deliver. Ill let yall know how they turn out.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:00 AM
Suspended
General concensus is to walk away.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:06 PM
you are gonna need 1.75" or greater on 04+ models. I tried today to install my 1.5" wheel adapers and the fronts were too short by 1/4". BS man! so I had to buy a couple 1/4" spacers. Now waiting on those to install.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bama Boy85
you are gonna need 1.75" or greater on 04+ models. I tried today to install my 1.5" wheel adapers and the fronts were too short by 1/4". BS man! so I had to buy a couple 1/4" spacers. Now waiting on those to install.
You are stacking wheel spacers? Ay......... I don't know how great an idea that is. I wouldn't have done it. Trimming your existing studs by 1/4 inch is likely a better option than stacking. Or return the works and get 2 inch ones.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:09 AM
I thought of that but there is a risk of damaging the threads if I cut the studs. Im not sure if they make a 2" or if they do I sure could not find it. I was planning on stacking the 1/4" spacer on back side of 1.5" spacer. this will give me a full lug nut threaded and still clear to install wheel.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought of that but there is a risk of damaging the threads if I cut the studs. Im not sure if they make a 2" or if they do I sure could not find it. I was planning on stacking the 1/4" spacer on back side of 1.5" spacer. this will give me a full lug nut threaded and still clear to install wheel.
I wouldn't go stacking anything or cut your studs, then you are just looking for problems. I would either replace the studs or just get the 2", they make em because that is what mine are, my original post was incorrect - I got mixed up on size with the SpyderTrax adapters on my Jeep.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://wheeladapter.com/ will make whatever you ask for. Call them, talk to Fred, he'll tell you everything you need to know.

I wouldn't honestly hesitate to cut them, stack a few washers on the lug, enough so when you tighten a lug nut over the washers it leaves the desired amount to be cut off. Grab a hack saw, and cut em clean. Spin the nut off, and run a quick file around the outside of the stud. The lug will clean up the threads on its way off. An added security for thread protection, is to use body shims instead of washers. Then once the stud is cut, loosen the nut, remove the shims, and tighten the nut back down. Then clean up the edge with a file, and run the nut off after its cleaned up. It'd bullet proof that way, but tedious.

No matter what, you need to be positive here that your spacers are not made of cast aluminum. I wouldn't trust any made in china spacers.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:09 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Mine are holding up fine. inlandwheel and tire is where I had mine made. around $300 I think. Not sure.

Thread is here with pics

Quick Reply: Yes or no to wheel spacers?