Nitto Trail Grapplers

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 09:17 AM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bought mine when they first came out. I mean they had literally just been on the market maybe a month or something. Nobody knew much about them except the few people I saw that had them said they were quiet for such an aggressive tire. That's true. Also, it rides better than just about any other tire with a "Mud" type tread.

I have 45K miles on mine, and it seems to have about the same amount of tread that it had at about 38K miles....about 1/8" above the wear bars. So it does wear very well too. However, in my experience it has taken a tremendous amount of weight to get them balanced. Even then, they've never been "perfect". Even though I mentioned that it rides better than just about any other tire with a "Mud" type terrain, that doesn't mean the ride like a good A/T tire. They can be fairly rough...especially if hit a rough patch of road or something. Another thing that has gotten worse over time is the amount of time it takes for them to warm up past the "flat spots" they get when they're cold. At least, that's what it feels like. When they're cold and I take off, I can watch the bed of the truck in my rear-view shake like a dog trying to pass a peach pit. When they warm up, it goes away.

Off road, they are a beast! I've NEVER gotten stuck (although I got close a time or two). I've taken them in some really hairy places too. I fish (A LOT!) so I pull an outboard jet rig for running the rivers. Most of the places I launch aren't actual boat ramps. They're usually just sloppy low places on the river bank that allow for access into the river. And they can be VERY sloppy! I've never had a problem, and not only do I have to pull the truck out of that slop, I gotta pull the boat and trailer out too! Also, there are no "roads" of any kind that lead back to many of these places. Maybe just an old quarry dump truck trail or something. Never had a problem.

Anyway, that's been my experience. Overall, they behave much better than other very aggressive tires in their class, but they ARE very aggressive tires. Remember that if you get them because they're not "perfect" on the road, but they are MUCH closer to "perfect" off road.

Last edited by DewserB; 01-25-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:47 AM
^^ Glad to see your getting that kind of life out of yours, I have about 30k on mine now and dont expect to see much over 40K. However I am very pleased with the tire and will buy again.

Old 01-30-2012, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by DewserB
Bought mine when they first came out. I mean they had literally just been on the market maybe a month or something. Nobody knew much about them except the few people I saw that had them said they were quiet for such an aggressive tire. That's true. Also, it rides better than just about any other tire with a "Mud" type tread.

I have 45K miles on mine, and it seems to have about the same amount of tread that it had at about 38K miles....about 1/8" above the wear bars. So it does wear very well too. However, in my experience it has taken a tremendous amount of weight to get them balanced. Even then, they've never been "perfect". Even though I mentioned that it rides better than just about any other tire with a "Mud" type terrain, that doesn't mean the ride like a good A/T tire. They can be fairly rough...especially if hit a rough patch of road or something. Another thing that has gotten worse over time is the amount of time it takes for them to warm up past the "flat spots" they get when they're cold. At least, that's what it feels like. When they're cold and I take off, I can watch the bed of the truck in my rear-view shake like a dog trying to pass a peach pit. When they warm up, it goes away.

Off road, they are a beast! I've NEVER gotten stuck (although I got close a time or two). I've taken them in some really hairy places too. I fish (A LOT!) so I pull an outboard jet rig for running the rivers. Most of the places I launch aren't actual boat ramps. They're usually just sloppy low places on the river bank that allow for access into the river. And they can be VERY sloppy! I've never had a problem, and not only do I have to pull the truck out of that slop, I gotta pull the boat and trailer out too! Also, there are no "roads" of any kind that lead back to many of these places. Maybe just an old quarry dump truck trail or something. Never had a problem.

Anyway, that's been my experience. Overall, they behave much better than other very aggressive tires in their class, but they ARE very aggressive tires. Remember that if you get them because they're not "perfect" on the road, but they are MUCH closer to "perfect" off road.

I never had trouble balancing mine. And ive never noticed the "flat spots" you guys are talking about.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Got 10k on mine so far and i love them. They look awesome and have never let me down yet (although i do need 4x4 on occasion). Wear is even and the hum is not too bad. It shakes a little at 5 mph or less and the ride is a good bit stiffer than what i was used too but i got used to it. This was my frist m/t tire and if wear is decent then I will but it again. If i dont go with the trails again, then the terra grapplers will be my next buy. Either way nitto tires are great. You cant go wrong with a product made in the U.S.A.

Edit: Also have taken these tires over quite a few thorn bushes and am pleased to report no holes thus far!

Last edited by ykt legend; 01-30-2012 at 09:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Nitto Trail Grapplers