tpms tire sensor - why not reuse on new rims?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 11:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tpms tire sensor - why not reuse on new rims?

I have a 2010 XTR XLT Supercrew 4x4. Factory 18" rims. I purchased Ultra Badlands in 18".

Can't I just take the valve stems (that I'm assuming have the sensor built into them) and put them on these new Ultra Badland rims?

Helpful quick response is appreciated as I have the ability to sell the rims tomorrow so need to know if my vavle stems/sensors will just fit in these new rims so I can have them installed tomorrow without having to worry about buying a second set of sensors.

Help Please.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:09 AM
If they are the type of TPMS sensors that have the rubber stems on them, it shouldn't be a problem. You'll just need some new rubber stem parts to attach the TPMS sensors to.

If they're band style sensors, you'll need new bands, which are readily available from the dealer. Factory bands can't be re-used, replacement ones can, as they're just like a giant hose clamp.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yep.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:53 PM
I bought a set off eBay for 110 bucks. The seller said to look at your valve stems on your wheels...if they look like regular old valve stems, you have the band type. If they are considerable thicker than a normal valve stem, then you have the valve stem type. My 2011 has the thicker valve stem type. When I received the ones I bought off eBay, they looks exactly like what I have in my wheels factory.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by nunya53
I bought a set off eBay for 110 bucks. The seller said to look at your valve stems on your wheels...if they look like regular old valve stems, you have the band type. If they are considerable thicker than a normal valve stem, then you have the valve stem type. My 2011 has the thicker valve stem type. When I received the ones I bought off eBay, they looks exactly like what I have in my wheels factory.
Only the 07 and 08 have the band type. 09 up have the valve stem type. The valve stems on the F150 look just like any other valve stem, except on the inside. They have a piece of metal that sticks down that the sensors attaches to.

Last edited by kingfish51; 01-19-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by kingfish51
The valve stems on the F150 look just like any other valve stem, except on the inside.
We'll have to agree to disagree on this point. If you've ever worked tires and changed valve stems, there is a visual difference. To the average joe, they may look the same.

Last edited by nunya53; 01-19-2012 at 09:54 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:13 PM
We'll have to agree to disagree on this point. If you've ever worked tires and changed valve stems, there is a visual difference. To the average joe, they may look the same.
They get put in exactly the same way, being pulled through from the back. If they were larger, they would not fit.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:17 PM
The TPMS rubber stems have a metal 'shoulder' that is hidden under the cap when it's on the stem. They are also thicker than normal rubber valve stems.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by kingfish51
They get put in exactly the same way, being pulled through from the back. If they were larger, they would not fit.
The part that 'locks' into the wheel is the same as a regular valve stem, but the part that is above the outer rim surface is thicker. It fits thru the hole no problem, but they are stiffer than regular rubber stems. I always put a little tire mounting lube on the TPMS rubber stems before I'd pull them thru. Makes it a bit easier to get them in. I tell my tire busters the same thing at work on them.

I'm glad I don't bust tires anymore. Such a pain in the *** at times.

I still handle my own stuff, but that's just cuz I don't trust the two knuckleheads that are tires busters now to not mess my stuff up and get my wheels balanced right.

Quick Reply: tpms tire sensor - why not reuse on new rims?