positive...negitive....which is it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 11:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question positive...negitive....which is it?

Im lookin to get some new wheels and tires, and have had multiple info on the + and - offset.... one guy says negitive will allow wheels to stick out, then i hear the oposite..... can someone give me some nubie level, easy to understand info. thankx

Old 02-16-2012, 12:38 AM
stock 17 & 18" rims have a +30 offset and are 7.5" wide

the more you go to zero offset and a negative offset the more you will stick out.

here is an offset calculator to see the differences.
http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

and here is a wheel & tire calculator to see the differences
http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

Old 02-16-2012, 07:53 AM
It took me a while to grasp this whole offset/backspace thing as well, but after a LOT of research I finally understood it. I have a 2011, so it will probably be a little different for your 2006. The 2011 is around a +40 offset and my stock Pirelli's are 275/55/20. It really depends on how much you want your wheels/tires to stick out past your fender wells? I ended up buying 20x9 Fuel Throttles with a +14 offset and I kept my stock tires for now. The offset is in millimeters, and someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I think 25 millimeters equals about an inch. So with my stock wheels being +40 and I got +14 that brought my wheels out an inch and they now slightly stick out just a bit from the wheels wells. So, if you really want them to stick out you want to go towards the 0 offset or to stick out even further you go towards the negative offset, like -14 for example. Keep in mind, if you start going with a wider tire this is going to add to your overall width and how much further it is going to stick out. If you tell us more of what you are going after than I am sure many of us can give you an approximate offset you may be looking for. I hope that I explained that easy enough for you, because I was in the same boat and I needed someone to break it down Barney style for me to understand.

Last edited by rharkcom; 02-16-2012 at 07:57 AM.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:51 AM
Global Moderator &
Administrator
Contributor
Super Moderator
Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts
Positive if you're optimistic
Negative if you're pesimistic