Ceramic verse Semi Metallic Pads?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 10:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ceramic verse Semi Metallic Pads?

It’s time for new brake pads. I have 59000 miles on the truck. Are Ceramic pads that much better than Semi-Metallic pads? I don’t plan on turning the rotors although I have always been told to. Thanks!

Old 02-23-2012, 11:06 AM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
I put 80,000 on a set of Wagner ThermoQuiet semi-metallics. That is all I use now. I too, never turn the rotors, just clean them off. Never had a problem.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:43 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have used both semi and ceramic and honestly, haven't seen much of a difference. I would, however, go with the Wagner TQ's..they are a great pad! And NO dust issues with either.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
+! Wagners. I replaced a set of HAWK Ceramics on my Expd, with Wagner TW ceramics. Way less dust, and better feel. Definitely sold. Will be putting a set on teh back shortly.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:03 PM

Wagner TQ semi metallic here too.. Been running them for about a year now and absolutely love them.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:30 PM
Former Sponsor
I use Hawk LTS semi-metallics. The stopping power is much improved over OE and the dusting... It is a truck. I expect dust when I go 75-15mph or hauling 1000 lbs of wood. I have rags and wheel cleaner in the garage for that! But now I have a pad I can depend on.

As a side note - I Have never tried Wagner's to compare.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:40 PM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by ehlersad
It’s time for new brake pads. I have 59000 miles on the truck. Are Ceramic pads that much better than Semi-Metallic pads? I don’t plan on turning the rotors although I have always been told to. Thanks!
I forgot to mention the rotors -
If you are not planning on replacing or turning your rotors, make sure they are clean from any transfer film from the old set of pads. This will ensure a good contact area while you are bedding in your new set.

Trending Topics

Old 02-23-2012, 05:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use wagner TQ and like them I still get the dust but what do you expect lol its a heavy vehicle

Originally Posted by Cash@TireRack.com
I forgot to mention the rotors -
If you are not planning on replacing or turning your rotors, make sure they are clean from any transfer film from the old set of pads. This will ensure a good contact area while you are bedding in your new set.
I just used some light sand paper to get that film off that is what many suggested I do on here

Old 02-24-2012, 12:35 AM
Sometimes ceramic pads have adverse reaction to old rotors. And they make noise. semi-metallic dont have that problem.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:03 AM
I won't use ceramics anymore, due to them warping my rotors. They braked about the same as semi's but create a lot of heat. Honestly, dusting was the same, semi's are cheaper, warrantied the same usually, and are far more practical for a daily driver. My vote: stick with semi metallic.

I'm using AC Delco pads and rotors now, ya, I know GM stuff, but they are doing really good. Wagner's, Raybestos are also very popular with excellent results.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:49 AM
I have Wagner TQ Semi-Metalics on the front of my truck, they are great! Way better than OE. I have heard some horror stories about ceramic pads cutting and digging at the OE rotor. Some say that it is just not strong enough... But I don't know from personal experience.

I will always use Wagner TQ's now that I have had a set... But just like Cash@tirerack said, I haven't ever used Hawk pads, so I have a pretty biased opinion.

Also as a plus to Wagner TQ's they have a lifetime warrenty... Haven't quite figured out how that works, but we will see.

When getting some the cheapest place I found them was at Rockauto.com ; shipping was fast too.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:03 AM
Ive always used semi on vehicles. Ive tried cermaics on some vehicles,, that didnt work out to well. From what i can tell you need to replace the rotors when you go to ceramics. I now have ceramics on my truck,, with new rotors from the same company,, drilled and slotted. I have no complaints about them,, rears for over 3000 miles and fronts just put on. So far i am happy!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Ceramic verse Semi Metallic Pads?