2011 FX4 6in lift, need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 05:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 FX4 6in lift, need help

i need help with my setup to make sure its going to work.. i cant decide what rims will work with a 6in bds beacuse im trying to fit 37s and their website claims it can be done with a 20x9 5.5 in of backspacing.. but i want to go with 22x9.5 and the rims im looking at are fuel hostage and their backspacings are 4.50, 5, 5.5, 6 but 4.50 is out of the question cuz that will look retarted "stick out to far" id prefer 6 to be honest i dunno if it will work.. i think the factory FX4 rims are 20x8.5 6in of backspacing. also i plan on putting camburgs UCA and they call for 5in backspacing but someone told me when u have a 6in lift u dont have to worry beacuse ur UCA is above ur tire anyway.. thats only for stock ride height and leveled u have to worry about

Old 03-11-2012, 04:57 PM
This may help get you a few answers:

I need help with my setup to make sure its going to work. I cant decide what rims will work with a 6in bds. Im trying to fit 37s. Their website claims it can be done with a 20x9, 5.5 in of backspacing. But I want to go with 22x9.5. The rims Im looking at are fuel hostage. Their backspacings are 4.50, 5, 5.5, and 6. 4.50 is out of the question cuz that will look retarted and "stick out to far". Id prefer 6, but to be honest I dunno if it will work. I think the factory FX4 rims are 20x8.5 6in of backspacing. Also, I plan on putting camburgs UCA. They call for 5in backspacing, but someone told me when u have a 6in lift u dont have to worry beacuse ur UCA is above ur tire anyway. Thats only for stock ride height and leveled u have to worry about

Old 03-11-2012, 07:14 PM
I have the BDS Kit# 573H 6" Kit on my 2009 Lariat 4x4 - the same kit that goes on your truck. Their product flyer stated that the Maximum Tire Size was 37x13.50 on 17x9 w/ 5.5” backspacing. I also didn't like a small backspacing and asked them if the Moto 951s 18x9 w/ 5.71 and 35x12.5 Toyos MTs would work. Their answer was "... the clearance between the knuckle and the tire/wheel would be extremely small, more or less then a 1/8in". I ended up purchasing the wheels with 4.53" backspacing. It didn't look bad, particularly after installing Bushwacke Extend-a-Fender (see my Garage).

In my understanding a 37x13.50 on 22x9.5 w/ 5.5” backspacing should work with minimual clearance. However I would contact support@bds-suspension.com (phone: 517-279-2135) before making any purchase.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There was a guy on here blackplat or something like that that ran a 6" BDS bumped to 8" and he rubbed with 37s and 22s

Old 03-11-2012, 09:43 PM
ya ive been trying to reach BDS and one of their tech guys who knows alot about rims and backspacing is always in a meeting when i call him. their website says 18x9 and 20x9 with 5.5 inches of backspacing will work perfect with 37s i just want to try and be different and run 22s but most 22s are 9.5in wide or bigger.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:41 AM
In my case the backspacing was too big and would cause a very low clearance between the knuckle and the tire/wheel. In your case if you go with 5.5" backspacing then you might be fine in that clearance but you might be short between the tire and plastic lower valence. My configuration already required some trimming. The BDS tech who helped me was Ted Yearling.

Their website does say 18x9 and 20x9 with 5.5 backspacing but if you look at their product flyer (PDF) for Kit# 573H it does say 37x13.50 on 17x9 w/ 5.5” backspacing.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by MacsFX4
i need help with my setup to make sure its going to work.. i cant decide what rims will work with a 6in bds beacuse im trying to fit 37s and their website claims it can be done with a 20x9 5.5 in of backspacing.. but i want to go with 22x9.5 and the rims im looking at are fuel hostage and their backspacings are 4.50, 5, 5.5, 6 but 4.50 is out of the question cuz that will look retarted "stick out to far" id prefer 6 to be honest i dunno if it will work.. i think the factory FX4 rims are 20x8.5 6in of backspacing. also i plan on putting camburgs UCA and they call for 5in backspacing but someone told me when u have a 6in lift u dont have to worry beacuse ur UCA is above ur tire anyway.. thats only for stock ride height and leveled u have to worry about
Im not sure how many lifted trucks you have seen or how much you now about backspacing and such. Id go out on a limb and say 3/4 of these people are running around a 4.5" of backspacing. If you arent going to add a leveling kit or coilovers bumped up you wont need ucas unless you just want to spend the dime on it. Some do this and still dont buy camburgs. instead of going that route just go ahead and start with an 8" lift and no worries.....and i think they are telling you to get camburgs do to the ball joint design...They are supposed to be better for trucks with harsher geometry angles.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The most common setup seems to be a 9 inch wide wheel with 4.5 or 5 inches of backspacing. So a 9.5 inch wide wheel with 5.5 inches would be great, if it will work with your lift.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by EEMene
In my case the backspacing was too big and would cause a very low clearance between the knuckle and the tire/wheel. In your case if you go with 5.5" backspacing then you might be fine in that clearance but you might be short between the tire and plastic lower valence. My configuration already required some trimming. The BDS tech who helped me was Ted Yearling.

Their website does say 18x9 and 20x9 with 5.5 backspacing but if you look at their product flyer (PDF) for Kit# 573H it does say 37x13.50 on 17x9 w/ 5.5” backspacing.

i called and left him a voicemail. i mean as long as its plastic and its trim able im fine with that just as long as i dont hit anything thats metal lol

Old 03-12-2012, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by Big_Smokey
Im not sure how many lifted trucks you have seen or how much you now about backspacing and such. Id go out on a limb and say 3/4 of these people are running around a 4.5" of backspacing. If you arent going to add a leveling kit or coilovers bumped up you wont need ucas unless you just want to spend the dime on it. Some do this and still dont buy camburgs. instead of going that route just go ahead and start with an 8" lift and no worries.....and i think they are telling you to get camburgs do to the ball joint design...They are supposed to be better for trucks with harsher geometry angles.

most of my research came down to people mostly running 4.5" which thats fine if u want to put a set of bushwackers on but i want to stay away from them thats why i want to get as much backspace as i can so they dont stick out too too far. and i will be having a set of kings made for my truck and i already plan on bumping them up an inch beacuse i still dont think it will sit level with the 6in kit. my trucks a 2011 fx4 screw short bed and its about 2in lower in the front and the kits 6in front 5in rear. and i dont think it will be a bad decision to get the camburgs to reduce bump steer and help it get aligned and handle better IMHO

Old 03-12-2012, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by wandell
The most common setup seems to be a 9 inch wide wheel with 4.5 or 5 inches of backspacing. So a 9.5 inch wide wheel with 5.5 inches would be great, if it will work with your lift.

ur absolutly right thats what im hopin beacause most people put 20s on their rigs and most 20s or 9in and i figured with the extra half in wide if i can get a little more backspacing like 5.5 it should looks similar to a 20x9 with 5in backspacing

Old 03-12-2012, 07:07 PM
It seems like you are spending a lot of money on a 6" lift to achieve 8"...You should just go ahead with a true 8"!!!. I dont have a ton of experience, but i did my install on my 2010 with a lot of searching here and it seems like most of the time you are higher in the front of the truck then the rears. i know mine was as were several others ive talked with here. Im not sure of the bump steer. never had an issue with that either. thats 3 leveled trucks and one suspension lifted truck. Just making sure you arent walking into a shop and they are selling you a bunch of stuff that you dont necessarily need....its nice stuff dont get me wrong just make sure you do plenty of reading. You dont have many posts thats all. Anyway, not trying to knock your build dont think that at all.
the backspacing is due to the new knuckles that will come with your suspension, which im sure you know. you dont always have a choice with that. you have to get what will work and not rub on your knuckles, which sounds like the guy you have been speaking with has already done this. You are talking about a half inch, and i doubt you can really tell that anyway. Good luck. cant wait to see the finished product. with any of the Backspacing you are looking at with width of rim and tires you are going to want fender flares anyway. craps gonna go down the side whether a half inch out or 3 inches out

Last edited by Big_Smokey; 03-12-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:57 PM
okay i just got off the phone with Ted at BDS and he told me a 22x9.5 with 5.5 in of backspacing shouldnt be an issue.. he did tell me if i ran into a problem he would send me out a little spacer to raise the front higher but im going to have kings coilovers on so i could just adjust them a little bit if i had to. i mean he didnt guarentee that i wouldnt hit any plastic which i dont mind trimming a little bit but he said i should be fine from any metal.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:31 PM
its not your overall diameter thats the problem. you have to watch backspacing so your wheel and tire doesnt hit your knuckles. You might ask him about that. you of course can get high enough to clear 37's with your adjustable coilovers and shouldnt need a spacer if you crank them up. if your wheel sets in to the truck tooo far it will rub on you knuckle, control arms, etc...... some aftermarket suspensions require a certain backspacing to prevent your tires from rubbing on those parts NOT to fit certain size tires.

Quick Reply: 2011 FX4 6in lift, need help