A/T or M/T? Best one?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 01:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alright Gentlemen, sorry but between exam week, family in town, and a wedding I haven't had much time. So I believe I have found the wheels I want. They are 16 inches however but I don't think downsizing an inch will make a difference in looks. That made me think though. Should I get 33 or 32 inch tires? The 32 are cheaper and may look better with the 16 inch wheel. What do ya'll think?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-85-6883/overview/

Here is a link to the wheels. Cheap and look good.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:46 PM
I'd get as big as you can without rubbing or you'll want to go bigger...

Cooper has a new A/T - M/T hybrid that has some great reviews and I think I'll be getting them in the next couple weeks. They perform especially well on wet pavement, and for someone in Southern Lousiana (over 60" of rainfall/year avg) who spends most their time on the road, think it's worth a look. I try to buy American owned and built materials when I can...

Also, I can't speak of the other tires being mentioned besides BFG's (all I've ever owned), but with proper inflation and rotation, I've gotten well over 50k on a BFG MT and buddy got 70k with the AT which probably would have gone even longer if they weren't so old...

Cooper Discoverer STmaxx

Last edited by TX Ranger; 03-18-2013 at 06:51 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:01 PM
I've got the Cooper Discoverer STT's and they've been great. They ride good on the highway and don't roar bad at all. They've also gotten me everywhere I've needed to go off-road. I had a set of BFG A/T's before these and I hated them.They rode terrible and in my opinion didn't handle well off-road. I've currently gotten right at 40,000 out of the STT's and will get another 5-10,000 more. I've already got another set out in our warehouse that will be going on after these wear out.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:49 PM
I'm really glad you mentioned that hybrid. I went mudding this weekend and it was fun but really dirty obviously. It would be one thing if the mud/dirt was on the outside only. The undercarriage is a pain to clean so I don't think I will go mudding as often as I thought I would. I'm glad you mentioned that Cooper tire because not only does it look good but perform great. And I think I'm going to keep my stock wheels. I think the Cooper tires will look good on stock wheels. Can you give me the links to some of the reviews read? I read one site with reviews. Can't find many.

Clearance. Possibly an issue considering my bumper is screwed up. My current tires are 255/65/R17. Here are some pictures

For reference. The side that isn't screwed up.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:36 AM
the links that I've read:

http://www.fourwheeler.com/techartic...w/viewall.html
http://www.4x4review.com/Reviews/Pro...5/Default.aspx

Also read around on a Taco and Duramax blog...

Don't forget, they're E-rated...

Old 03-26-2013, 12:18 AM
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryan_James
Alright Gentlemen, sorry but between exam week, family in town, and a wedding I haven't had much time. So I believe I have found the wheels I want. They are 16 inches however but I don't think downsizing an inch will make a difference in looks. That made me think though. Should I get 33 or 32 inch tires? The 32 are cheaper and may look better with the 16 inch wheel. What do ya'll think?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-85-6883/overview/

Here is a link to the wheels. Cheap and look good.
Ryan...if I'm reading right you show a 2007 F-150...minimum wheel should be 17 inches in diameter to clear the brakes. 6x135mm bolt pattern.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:22 PM
Thanks. You're right about the wheels but I'm going to keep the stock wheels. They look good and would be better with some tint and level on the truck. I'm really liking those St Maxx. Due to my budget I think I'm going to get the 265 and not 285. I would like the 285 but it's whatever. Hopefully my parents will let me sell my current tires. I need new brakes to.

On a side note, bought a K&N air filter. Pretty damn good $60 bucks.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:13 PM
Ryan, I just got mine from TireCrawler.com. I haven't read anything bad about these guys, and got the tires in less than a week. They don't claim to be, nor do they appear to be blems... They were miles cheaper than NTB or Discount Tire, went by for a price match, they said the quote I had was "wholesale". Of course, there's no road hazard, mount, and balance...

Old 03-28-2013, 12:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TX Ranger
I'd get as big as you can without rubbing or you'll want to go bigger...

Cooper has a new A/T - M/T hybrid that has some great reviews and I think I'll be getting them in the next couple weeks. They perform especially well on wet pavement, and for someone in Southern Lousiana (over 60" of rainfall/year avg) who spends most their time on the road, think it's worth a look. I try to buy American owned and built materials when I can...

Also, I can't speak of the other tires being mentioned besides BFG's (all I've ever owned), but with proper inflation and rotation, I've gotten well over 50k on a BFG MT and buddy got 70k with the AT which probably would have gone even longer if they weren't so old...

Cooper Discoverer STmaxx
Those are good looking tires. Anyone used them in the snow?

Old 04-01-2013, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by TX Ranger
Ryan, I just got mine from TireCrawler.com. I haven't read anything bad about these guys, and got the tires in less than a week. They don't claim to be, nor do they appear to be blems... They were miles cheaper than NTB or Discount Tire, went by for a price match, they said the quote I had was "wholesale". Of course, there's no road hazard, mount, and balance...

Those are going to look great on your truck. What size wheel and tire? I want the 285 but not sure if I can afford them along with the cut in gas mileage. I know somebody who can mount and balance them for me. I'm picking up two more lawns and if this guy wants them done every week I will be making $240 more on top the $300 I am already making a month so I may be able to afford them after all. Just paid insurance though so bye-bye $1200

Old 04-02-2013, 09:21 AM
I wanted the S/T MAxx but they were a little higher than the Toyo's I ended up with, also got mine from TireCrawler, pleased with the transaction as well.

I did however get warrenty information in PDF form from them via email...

Old 04-02-2013, 04:53 PM
since its a 2wd just throw some 37" Mud grapplers on the back and some tiger paws on the front

Old 04-08-2013, 08:46 AM
rims I got off of craigslist, they're 17x7.5", tires are 285/70R17. They do come with a manufacturer's warranty obviously, just not road hazard, for my case at least, not the tires it's my location. The website allows you to buy road hazard, "TITAN Tire Road Hazard Program". It might be bad ***, just not in my area, did my homework and they don't have any "tire servicing facilities" on their program within 50 mi of Houston...

Old 05-15-2013, 09:48 AM

Quick Reply: A/T or M/T? Best one?