Trim Bumper Valance?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 01:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trim Bumper Valance?

Everything is more or less fine (6" BDS, 35/12.5-20 Tires, 20x10 -24 Offset Wheels); however, after driving around, I noticed that when going up hill with the wheel turned hard left the front left tire hits the front bumper valance area (you can see where the tire rubbed as there is an indention in the valance). I'd imagine that the same thing would occur if going up hill with a hard right. There isn't much left to trim from the valance, so I need a little bit of suggestions as to what to do. Trim whatever is left up to the bumper and see if the problem is still there?

Old 03-05-2013, 12:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, I'd trim the plastic. If it's contacting the metal bumper, you may be able to shim it forward. This of course depends on how your bumper mounts.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:16 PM

Are you positive its hitting the front bumper and not the back of the wheel well? I know I had to do trimming on the rear of the wheel well when I went to bigger wheels/tires.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:22 PM
Hmm, you were right on Russ. I reproduced the rub by making a hard left turn into an elevated driveway while my fiancee watched and she said that it rubbed onto the back area. I figured it was the front since I didn't see any rub marks in the back wheel well and there seems to be scuff marks on the front valance (probably due to a semi poor trim).

Old 03-06-2013, 12:07 AM

Glad that was the case. Did she say it rubbed severely? Its probably just barely. I was able to trim mine pretty easily and no more rubs. Nothing noticeable either unless you're under there looking for it.

This is a pic of how mine rubbed. You can see the yellow line is where I made my cut.

This is it after the cut. I ended up taking a bit more off. See that little hump on the back wall of the wheel well? I shaved that down too.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:31 PM
You can also heat the plastic with a hair dryer or heat gun and reshape it. You can also use a zip tie to pull the plastic wheelwell liner back out of the way.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:03 PM
She said it was obvious that the back plastic is what the tire was rubbing, and that it was barely being rubbed. It only rubbed at full compression. I made the same turn extremely slow and there was no rub at all. I'd imagine there is little contact. When I first got the work done, after I left the shop, I had her turn the wheel to full lock left and right. There was probably an inch clearance between the tire and the middle back plastic, but that was on a non-elevated road.

Wandell, you mean heat the plastic to reshape it so that for example the plastic curves backwards? Also, with a zip tie, there would need to be holes punched into the plastic, correct? Any benefits to doing either over just trimming, or is it for those that simply do not want to trim?

Old 03-08-2013, 01:11 PM
Yep, you got it. I'm just trying to give you ideas and options. Heres a pic of the wheelwell of my Ram.

Quick Reply: Trim Bumper Valance?