How do I know if I need new brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 07:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do I know if I need new brakes?

I know jack **** about cars but my brakes have been squeaking a little here or there when stopping. Does this mean for sure I need new brake pads? How can I look to see which need to be replaced?

Old 04-01-2013, 08:01 PM
Squeeking means that they may need replacing, but a visual inspection is the only way to know for sure. Its not very hard, all you need to do is jack the truck up, take the wheel off, and look at the brake pads. Look up some videos on youtube so you have an idea of what you are looking for. How many miles are on the truck? You may also need rotors depending on their condition.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by atr04screw
Squeeking means that they may need replacing, but a visual inspection is the only way to know for sure. Its not very hard, all you need to do is jack the truck up, take the wheel off, and look at the brake pads. Look up some videos on youtube so you have an idea of what you are looking for. How many miles are on the truck? You may also need rotors depending on their condition.
The truck has 105k miles. I bought it at 100 and have no idea when the brake pads were repaired last.

If the rotors need replacing too is that something I can do as well? Brake pads seem easy from some videos I've watched. I know rotors would at least jack the price up. *crosses fingers*

Old 04-01-2013, 09:29 PM
I was thinking about going ahead and ordering these... http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/6...omerReviewsTab

Any input on those?

Old 04-02-2013, 07:10 AM
I use Wagner ThermoQuiets and love them, but the Hawks are also good pads. If the rotors do need replacing then you shouldn't have a problem changing them. At 105k, the brake pads have probably been replaced once already, and if not they will most likely need changing. Rotors may/may not need replacing, depends on if they are warped or have bad grooves in them.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:19 AM
IF they are warped you will feel it when you brake. There would be a hammering affect. When you applied the brakes they would grab and let go grab and let go as it passed the high and low points on the rotor.

Quick Reply: How do I know if I need new brakes?