2009 vs 2012 TPMS Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 11:16 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JuddFX4
well im telling you mine works I let the air out the light came on if you dont believe me thats fine just giving the OP my experience.

Posted from F150online.com App for Android
All I asked was where did you get the info. I am sure everyone would like that info.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:40 AM
Originally Posted by kingfish51
All I asked was where did you get the info. I am sure everyone would like that info.
I keep hearing about this also, new trucks..the system will recognize new sensors without any re-set. Although I can not vouch for this exactly, I can say the manual on my 2013 does not say one word in reference with TPMS other than it has the system (my 07 did). From what I can understand, the resetting tool is no longer needed. Can't prove it yet though.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by sam1947
I keep hearing about this also, new trucks..the system will recognize new sensors without any re-set. Although I can not vouch for this exactly, I can say the manual on my 2013 does not say one word in reference with TPMS other than it has the system (my 07 did). From what I can understand, the resetting tool is no longer needed. Can't prove it yet though.
Page 385 of your owners manual. How to reset TPMS. Since 2010, they do not require the reset tool to do the reset. However in the case of new sensors, the reset procedure in the book does not always work and the reset tool is needed.

As far as reading multiple sets of sensors, I have not heard this before which is why I asked where he found the info. I would definitely like to find the site where he found this as there may be other info that is useful. As far as my own sensors, I have to reset between winter and summer using the rest tool. 09 has the tool reset only.

Last edited by kingfish51; 04-29-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:33 PM
Page 385 of your owners manual. How to reset TPMS. Since 2010, they do not require the reset tool to do the reset. However in the case of new sensors, the reset procedure in the book does not always work and the reset tool is needed.

As far as reading multiple sets of sensors, I have not heard this before which is why I asked where he found the info. I would definitely like to find the site where he found this as there may be other info that is useful. As far as my own sensors, I have to reset between winter and summer using the rest tool. 09 has the tool reset only.
Not trying to start a war here, but page 385 of the 2013 owners manual shows how to change a tire..NOTHING, not one word about the TPMS re-setting.

Last edited by sam1947; 04-29-2013 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:31 PM
Not trying to start a war here, but page 385 of the 2013 owners manual shows how to change a tire..NOTHING, not one word about the TPMS re-setting.
I downloaded it from here.

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdi...&VEHICLE=F-150

Here is the start of it.

Tire Pressure Monitoring System Reset Procedure

WARNING: To determine the required pressure(s) for your
vehicle, see the Safety Compliance Certification Label (affixed to
either the door hinge pillar, door-latch post, or the door edge that
meets the door-latch post, next to the driver’s seating position), or Tire
Label located on the B-Pillar or the edge of the driver’s door. See Load
Carrying for more information.

Note: The tire pressure monitoring system reset procedure needs to be
performed after each tire rotation on vehicles that require different
recommended tire pressures in the front tires as compared to the rear
tires.

Overview
To provide the vehicle’s load carrying capability, some vehicles require
different recommended tire pressures in the front tires as compared to
the rear tires. The tire pressure monitoring system equipped on these
vehicles is designed to illuminate the low tire pressure warning light at
two different pressures; one for the front tires and one for the rear tires.
Since tires need to be rotated to provide consistent performance and
maximum tire life, the tire pressure monitoring system needs to know
when the tires are rotated to determine which set of tires are on the
front and which are on the rear. With this information, the system can
detect and properly warn of low tire pressures.
System reset tips:
• To reduce the chances of interference from another vehicle, the
system reset procedure should be performed at least three feet (one
meter) away from another Ford Motor Company vehicle undergoing
the system reset procedure at the same time.
• Do not wait more than two minutes between resetting each tire sensor
or the system will time-out and the entire procedure will have to be
repeated on all four wheels.
• A double horn chirp indicates the need to repeat the procedure.

This is in the third printing. I also checked the first printing. That too shows the reset on page 385.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:11 PM
I downloaded it from here.

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdi...&VEHICLE=F-150

Here is the start of it.

This is in the third printing. I also checked the first printing. That too shows the reset on page 385.
Don't know what to say, my manual is the second printing and that info is NOT there on that page. After more research, in the second printing the procedure starts on page 378......just too d**md much to catch up on...... We are reading two different printings of this manual 'King'

Last edited by sam1947; 04-29-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:36 PM
Evidently, this year truck (13) requires the tires to be deflated to train the sensors in the same order as the earlier models were done with the sensor 'trigger'. This procedure requires no sensor 'trigger', only an air compressor when done.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:03 PM
Evidently, this year truck (13) requires the tires to be deflated to train the sensors in the same order as the earlier models were done with the sensor 'trigger'. This procedure requires no sensor 'trigger', only an air compressor when done.
Which I already stated. That procedure started with the 10 model. However, some have tried it with new sensors and it did not work. It would not "wake up" the new sensors. They had to have the dealer do the reset. The dealer would have used the reset tool.

I tried to do a search of the thread where the wake up was discussed, however, the search feature is not working correctly.

PS - just looked at the second printing. As you stated, it starts on page 378. Wonder what they dropped, then realized the forgot something, then put it back in.

Last edited by kingfish51; 04-29-2013 at 09:07 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:33 PM
Which I already stated. That procedure started with the 10 model. However, some have tried it with new sensors and it did not work. It would not "wake up" the new sensors. They had to have the dealer do the reset. The dealer would have used the reset tool.

I tried to do a search of the thread where the wake up was discussed, however, the search feature is not working correctly.

PS - just looked at the second printing. As you stated, it starts on page 378. Wonder what they dropped, then realized the forgot something, then put it back in.
Any idea if that same reset tool I used on my 07 would work on these ? BTW, Thanks for the help.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:47 PM
Any idea if that same reset tool I used on my 07 would work on these ? BTW, Thanks for the help.
I believe it will. To my knowledge, the part number has not changed for the reset tool. You could try it by going into the rest mode on the truck, then use the tool instead of letting out pressure. If it works, you will get the honk. If it doesn't, it just means that the system will not rest, and since it is already working, no harm no foul.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:56 PM
^^^Thanks Kingfish..I will give it a shot....nothing ventured...nothing gained !!

Old 04-30-2013, 10:08 AM
^^^Thanks Kingfish..I will give it a shot....nothing ventured...nothing gained !!
Let us know if it works for you.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:55 AM
Let us know if it works for you.
Just an up-date.......the TPMS re-set tool WILL work on the 2013 wheels, just like the older sensors.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:47 PM
Just an up-date.......the TPMS re-set tool WILL work on the 2013 wheels, just like the older sensors.
Excellent. Thought it would but was not 100% sure.

Thanks for reporting back.

Last edited by kingfish51; 05-01-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, I'm going to pick up a set from 2013 today.

Quick Reply: 2009 vs 2012 TPMS Sensors