Brake pedal issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 06:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake pedal issues

Hello all,
I have a 2006 f150 screw with 70,000 miles. I just noticed today, when I am at a stop sign, the brake pedal is soft and gradually goes down. No fluid leaks or any other signs. I am thinking it is a bad master cylinder. I checked fluid levels, they look fine. I only have the brakes done at the dealer as necessary.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:07 AM
Here ya go https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...-resolved.html . This is probably all you need to do.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:06 AM
Originally Posted by GatorBoi
Here ya go https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...-resolved.html . This is probably all you need to do.
Thank you for the info. After I posted I drove it again, and it now has me a little scared to drive. When coming to a stop, I would say the last bit just before a complete stop, the pedal goes down quickly to where it feels like its not going to stop/and almost feels like I've run out of pedal. It does stop though, and then the pedal is almost all the way down.

Do you guys think that someone other than the dealer is qualified to ...lets say...replace a master cylinder if that what it turns out to be...e.g. Firestone service center. Works been slow, doubt I can afford the dealer prices, and I have some credit with Firestone.

Thank you in advance for your input

Old 05-21-2013, 10:29 AM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Sure sounds like a master cylinder to me. I would take it to the dealer or a brake shop if I could not do it myself.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
Sure sounds like a master cylinder to me. I would take it to the dealer or a brake shop if I could not do it myself.
I'm disabled, so unfortunately I cant do it myself. You think there will be a big price difference between Firestone and Ford dealer. Sucks being poor..lol I'm sure the dealer would use a better brand name m.c.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:03 AM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
I'm just not a fan of the chains such as Firestone. You may get lucky and get a tech with experience that knows what he is doing, but too often, I've seen too many doofuses in those places. I would look for a local independent garage/shop if I didn't take it to a dealer. Yes, the dealer will probably cost more, but not always the case.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by GatorBoi
so your theory is that the output rod in his booster magically changed overnight and now he needs to crank it out to fix his problem?

The booster output rod is not your problem.

Like some others have said, its going to be the master cylinder. One of your seals is leaking (internally, so the fluid returns to the reservoir).

There is no way to "fix" the master cylinder. You need a new one.

Any shop should be able to do this. Just make sure they actually put a new one on. The biggest risk is that they don't do a good job bleeding the brakes and they leave air in the system. Make sure you test it right away and if you are not happy with the pedal feel go right back in and have them re-bleed it.

They should bleed it for free if you are not happy with it.

Good luck!

Old 05-22-2013, 02:47 PM
I just got back from the dealer. They told me 90% chance its the master cylinder. 370.00 at the dealer. The reason I mentioned firestone, is that I have 400 bucks credit with them so they may be my only option to get my truck fixed. Should I have firestone get the motorcraft brand from the dealer, or install the normal brand they recommend ? I'm sure most here opt for motorcraft parts, just wondering if it that big of a difference with a different brand for m.c.'s ?

Old 05-22-2013, 02:51 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
There are some good brands out there such as Wagner, Raybestos, Bendix. Just try to get a new one and not a rebuilt.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:04 AM
Firestone will be doing the work today. I'm having them use motorcraft part from the dealer.ty everyone for your help and advise.

Quick Reply: Brake pedal issues