Wheel help--again

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 04:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wheel help--again

I posted awhile back about my rims starting to leak air through the actual rim and I suspect its due to them being plated and eventually getting some corrosion in the wheel underneath. Cost for new ones like I had is almost 1300 an don't want to spend that. I found some wheels I like and after rebates and etc I can get them for less than half that.

Here is my question for you wheel people with the offset and backspacing knowledge. I want to install the MB Wheels TKO
16X8.5 5-135 -6C
They have -6mm Offset / 4.5 Inch Backspace to them.

I`m running stock 255/70/16 tires that are almost new and reason I dont want to jump to 17" rims with more options. Its on a 2000 4x2 supercab truck with the 14mm studs. I want the tires to stay tucked in the wheel well like stock and keep everything pretty much like it is. Will these be the ticket or do I need to look for something else??

These are the wheels in question but not where I`m buying from...I`m just not real up on all this wheel stuff like I said before and thanks for any help.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-New-16X8-5-5x135-MB-Motoring-MB-Motoring-TKO-Chrome-Wheels-Rims-/190781882939?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c6b7c823b&vxp=mtr

Last edited by 2000FordStyle; 05-23-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:19 PM
BSL
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Link to a calculator from one of the stickies.

http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

Not sure on the specs of your current wheels, but if they are 7.5 wide with 4.5 bs like my fx4 wheels the MBs will stick out about .5" according to the calculator.

Old 05-23-2013, 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by BSL
Link to a calculator from one of the stickies.

http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

Not sure on the specs of your current wheels, but if they are 7.5 wide with 4.5 bs like my fx4 wheels the MBs will stick out about .5" according to the calculator.
Thanks for the info and link. Mine are the standard 5 spoke wheels that I had chromed right after I got the truck in 2000.
Name:  rim_zps899428a5.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  84.1 KB

Old 05-23-2013, 05:37 PM

I agree, they'll likely stick out a bit. If your wheels are factory/stock, they should have an offset around +30 or so, at least I believe that's how the newer ones are. I can't really tell from your sig pic what kind of wheels you have. If you wanted to get a set of factory wheels, you should be able to pick a really clean set up from a local salvage yard or Craigslist for less than $200.

I have aftermarket wheels with a +20 offset on my 2006 with 275mm (10.8") wide tires, and they stick out of my wheel wells just a tad

Edit: Well now I know what kind of wheel you have! I'd definitely poke around for some stock wheels that are nice and sorted, but you may find that exact type. I always considered MB wheels to have a classy look that isn't blatantly aftermarket, so they're a good choice for what seems to be your preference

Last edited by KMAC0694; 05-23-2013 at 05:43 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:16 PM
Originally Posted by KMAC0694
I agree, they'll likely stick out a bit. If your wheels are factory/stock, they should have an offset around +30 or so, at least I believe that's how the newer ones are. I can't really tell from your sig pic what kind of wheels you have. If you wanted to get a set of factory wheels, you should be able to pick a really clean set up from a local salvage yard or Craigslist for less than $200.

I have aftermarket wheels with a +20 offset on my 2006 with 275mm (10.8") wide tires, and they stick out of my wheel wells just a tad

Edit: Well now I know what kind of wheel you have! I'd definitely poke around for some stock wheels that are nice and sorted, but you may find that exact type. I always considered MB wheels to have a classy look that isn't blatantly aftermarket, so they're a good choice for what seems to be your preference

I`ve been looking for the chrome ones like I have for awhile and the only place I found that has them and even those are remans is Rockauto. I like the chrome wheels but its just not cost effective to stay stock this time around. I want something that looks good but still maintains close to stock stance.

Most of the ones I have looked at are 4.2 to 5" backspace in the styles I like...

17yr old son wants me to go big and aggressive...LOL

Last edited by 2000FordStyle; 05-23-2013 at 06:23 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:40 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
2000-03 Harley 20" wheels would be my choice. You're truck looks great and I think you'd love the stance

Old 05-23-2013, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by TruckGuy24
2000-03 Harley 20" wheels would be my choice. You're truck looks great and I think you'd love the stance
Thanks for the compliment...I had thought of that before but thenI need tires and rims...LOL I really want the chrome to keep the look on the truck so it stays matching. After all the new paint and parts this last yr its a keeper for a bit longer...
Name:  IMAG0359Medium.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  81.1 KB

Old 05-23-2013, 08:08 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
No problem! I think once you saw them you'd be hooked. Whatever you do o think it will look great

Old 05-24-2013, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by 2000FordStyle
I`ve been looking for the chrome ones like I have for awhile and the only place I found that has them and even those are remans is Rockauto. I like the chrome wheels but its just not cost effective to stay stock this time around. I want something that looks good but still maintains close to stock stance.

Most of the ones I have looked at are 4.2 to 5" backspace in the styles I like...

17yr old son wants me to go big and aggressive...LOL
Well in that case, I'd say to just get aftermarkets like you're planning! I think those MBs will keep that stock-like appearance. The only thing with back spacing is that I personally only like wheels that stick out on bigger/lifted trucks. I knoe you want them to stay tucked. When you have negative offset wheels that are small, with stock sized tires, you can end of with the "Mexican Squat." I apologize for the term, but it's what we call it down in TX and I don't know what else to call it haha. Do you know what look I'm talking about? Small wheels and tires that stick out on a low truck?

BTW, truck looks exceptionally crisp with the new paint, bright chrome, and nice looking headlights

Old 05-24-2013, 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by KMAC0694
Well in that case, I'd say to just get aftermarkets like you're planning! I think those MBs will keep that stock-like appearance. The only thing with back spacing is that I personally only like wheels that stick out on bigger/lifted trucks. I knoe you want them to stay tucked. When you have negative offset wheels that are small, with stock sized tires, you can end of with the "Mexican Squat." I apologize for the term, but it's what we call it down in TX and I don't know what else to call it haha. Do you know what look I'm talking about? Small wheels and tires that stick out on a low truck?

BTW, truck looks exceptionally crisp with the new paint, bright chrome, and nice looking headlights

If I had a 4wd I wouldn't mind them sticking out more and would probably be sporting some more aggressive tires to boot.
I do NOT want the above squat look you mentioned and reason I need to find wheels to keep stock stance. I still want them in the wheel well as much as possible and not sticking way out. I have seem many trucks around here with the set up above as well as a few cars...not what I`m looking to do....LOL

Are you saying these wheels with the -6mm offset may cause a issue then? I wish I had my truck here at this house so I could pull wheel and get measurements to compare.

New paint wasnt planned on---Truck got vandalized and keyed/knifed on every panel but roof ( Still had new looking glossy paint )....Son got in dispute with some kids and they trashed his Mustang GT (drove screws in all tire sidewalls and poured paint down car ) as well as my truck since he drove them both...Police could never get anyone to narc on one another so no charges were ever brought even though the kids talked about it at school...All over some money a kid owed him for damage he caused to sons bumper and he asked again for it after 3 mths...Mother of the other kid was throwing fuel on the fire the whole way through...long story with bad ending.....

Last edited by 2000FordStyle; 05-24-2013 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the compliment...I had thought of that before but thenI need tires and rims...LOL I really want the chrome to keep the look on the truck so it stays matching. After all the new paint and parts this last yr its a keeper for a bit longer...
I would check Craigslist. I often see chrome wheels for F150 there.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:45 AM
Originally Posted by dewalt17
I would check Craigslist. I often see chrome wheels for F150 there.
Ive been looking since mid Feb online and on CL when I found out it was the 2 rims leaking air and not tires or valve stems. Nothing has popped up on CL that would let me retain my almost new tires since I have a whopping 2500 miles on them now. 16" doesnt really give a bunch of choices from my search. Put 17" in the search criteria and it quadruples choices but means about 700 more for 17" tires of my choice in the total cost.
I have not had to buy rims for over 25yrs and usually get the nicest ones I can on the factory packages when I buy a vehicle...LOL All this offset and backspace and then add in rim width is new to me to keep it within my wheel wells....

Old 05-24-2013, 10:23 PM

I do think wheels with an offset that may give it that sort of look. If possible, I'd swing into a Discount Tire and ask them if they think a large back spacing would do that, they're usually pretty helpful.

Have you taken a look at many Eagle Alloy wheels? Some of their wheels have a close-to-stock look to them, not sure on their offset/back spacing though. There has got to be a reason why all these wheels have such a large back spacing. There are a lot of people like you that prefer a respectable looking wheel that fits like factory.

That story with your son and what happened is so disappointing. That seems to be happening more frequently. What happened to throwing toilet paper into your trees, drawing on your house with chalk, and throwing eggs? I'm young, and a lot of kids think they can do as they please nowadays. Doing permanent damage to someone's property is not acceptable. And worse, the parents of these kids don't seem to care or punish them sufficiently when they find out. I've always known not to do crap like that cause my butt would be gettin a whoopin haha

Old 05-27-2013, 12:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I posted awhile back about my rims starting to leak air through the actual rim and I suspect its due to them being plated and eventually getting some corrosion in the wheel underneath. Cost for new ones like I had is almost 1300 an don't want to spend that. I found some wheels I like and after rebates and etc I can get them for less than half that.

Here is my question for you wheel people with the offset and backspacing knowledge. I want to install the MB Wheels TKO
16X8.5 5-135 -6C
They have -6mm Offset / 4.5 Inch Backspace to them.

I`m running stock 255/70/16 tires that are almost new and reason I dont want to jump to 17" rims with more options. Its on a 2000 4x2 supercab truck with the 14mm studs. I want the tires to stay tucked in the wheel well like stock and keep everything pretty much like it is. Will these be the ticket or do I need to look for something else??

These are the wheels in question but not where I`m buying from...I`m just not real up on all this wheel stuff like I said before and thanks for any help.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-New-16X8-5...7c823b&vxp=mtr
Those wheels will stick out 1.5 inches farther than your stock wheels.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by wandell
Those wheels will stick out 1.5 inches farther than your stock wheels.
Thanks for the info. I gave up the idea for those after a little more info on them. Great price though.
Getting a little discouraged with the choice in 16" and may be looking at 17 or 18 now. Hated to lose my new tires but may have to in the trade off.

Quick Reply: Wheel help--again