Brake issues on '05 x-cab

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 02:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake issues on '05 x-cab

I have a question concerning the differences in front brakes on my 2005 f-150 4x4. My truck was built in 10/04. Parts stores show a different part number for calipers with mounting brackets based on trucks made before 11/29/04 and those made after 11/29/04.Will the later design calipers/brackets fit my vehicle and what is different? I replaced both front calipers 3 years ago because right side started sticking.The left front started sticking a few days ago.I removed caliper and carefully pumped pistons partially out with brake pedal.Then using caliper piston pliers,I rotated pistons in their bores,collapsed them and re-installed caliper.Seems OK for now.Brake hoses are new and fluid has been flushed several times since I've owned truck(2008).Any thoughts,ideas or advice would be appreciated.Thanks

Old 06-01-2013, 11:25 PM
Always use your vin# to replace parts for your vehicle. Sometimes they will have parts they've updated for various reasons and the part #s will be slightly different but they should work.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:31 PM
Maybe replace the calipers in pairs?

Old 06-02-2013, 03:38 AM
there was a service bulletin in that time period, i had my rotors replaced free of charge, and the bulletin said to replace calipers also but i didnt get those. My rotors had a slight few hair line cracks. I do know that the piston size was increased somewhere between 05 and 07. Try out "new take offs" and you can get a new factory set for $139.00. I jumped on that!! Not rebuilt but brand new with maybe a few miles. Came with pads also and it did not look like they had been used. Last time i checked recently they still had some. The have the slightly larger pistons, and the brake lines were a lil different but i just kept mine connected, and just switched out at the connection port on caliper. Never looked back. The reason for the new rotors was that the "new" ones ventilated better. There was some over heating problems, which could have slightly damaged the pistons. I was glad to get the rotors!! Had to go to another dealer.I'm suprised at how diff dealers adress repair issues. rossford

Quick Reply: Brake issues on '05 x-cab