Changing rim and tire size

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 01:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Changing rim and tire size

Last question I hope about all of this.

I have a stock 2000 F150 with 2 wd and factory 16x7 rims

Not many choices in 16" rims and I found a set of 17" wheels I would like to get but it requires a wheel and tire jump up.

I was told the following could replace my factory wheels and it wouldn't alter any suspension clearances and most likely not the speedometer either. Want to check with all my fellow F150 people that know this stuff if its true.

Factory:
16x7 with 4.5" backspace(?) and 255/70/16 wheels

Replacement wheels
17X9 Fuel Krank Chrome with 14 offset and 5.5 backspace with 255/65/17 tires.
or
17x9 Fuel Throttles with same specs..

I tried the rim wheel calculator but not sure of the actual factory offset to get the correct figure. Would these work and not alter any of the factory look of them in the wheel well and not out, rubbing and etc...

If not any suggestions on a good chrome rim that would?

Old 05-31-2013, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Based on the information you gave us, the new setup would add an inch on the inside and stick out an extra inch on the outside.

Current Wheel:
7" wide with 4.5" backspacing, leaves 2.5" of wheel sticking out from the bolt surface.

New Wheels:
9" wide with 5.5" backspacing (1" more than 4.5" on the inside), leaves 3.5" of wheel sticking out from the bolt surface (1" more stick out).

Outer diameter is the same so the circumference is the same. You wouldn't see any difference in performance unless you're moving to something much heavier.

I'm not familiar with the clearances you currently have, but if you feel like you can clear an inch on the outside (usually comes into play when turned at full lock and the backside of the tire gets close to the rear of the front wheel well) and an extra inch on the inside (this comes into play with clearing suspension components and sometimes if you're cutting it close, rubbing on the lower front valence under your bumper).

Hope that helped.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by russ10screw
Based on the information you gave us, the new setup would add an inch on the inside and stick out an extra inch on the outside.

Current Wheel:
7" wide with 4.5" backspacing, leaves 2.5" of wheel sticking out from the bolt surface.

New Wheels:
9" wide with 5.5" backspacing (1" more than 4.5" on the inside), leaves 3.5" of wheel sticking out from the bolt surface (1" more stick out).

Outer diameter is the same so the circumference is the same. You wouldn't see any difference in performance unless you're moving to something much heavier.

I'm not familiar with the clearances you currently have, but if you feel like you can clear an inch on the outside (usually comes into play when turned at full lock and the backside of the tire gets close to the rear of the front wheel well) and an extra inch on the inside (this comes into play with clearing suspension components and sometimes if you're cutting it close, rubbing on the lower front valence under your bumper).

Hope that helped.
I`m good on clearance on the back but possibly cutting it close on front valance adding 1" if truck dips at same time its turned in...

Really need to find some wheels that fit as close to stock without hitting... Changing to a lower offset should help that though correct? Maybe a 0 or so??? I can get the same wheels in 0 offset and even - offsets.....
Also could go 255/70/17 or even 245/70/17 tires as a listed option they gave me........

Last edited by 2000FordStyle; 05-31-2013 at 03:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Changing rim and tire size