in the market for new tires and rear ratios. what to choose?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 11:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
in the market for new tires and rear ratios. what to choose?

I have a 1998 f150 4x4 with the 4.6. next weekend I have to pull out my rear to change out a bearing and seal and in the front I have to change out a seal also. I figured since their going to be out of the truck I might as well change my ratio away from 3.55 to something a little better for bigger tires.

My first question would be (keeping in mind that this is my daily driver) what size tire would you recommend for my truck. I would love 35's but I'm not sure how bad that would kill my wallet. The tires I was looking at would be either the cooper ST-MAXX which are kinda new and not too many peole have reviewed yet, or the nitto trail grabber. I'm prob going to keep my stock 16" wheels because the extra $1000 is not something I can afford. I do plan on either buying a set of keys and doing a 3" lift up front for now and add 2" in the back. I don't want to dump too much money into my 170,000 mile truck.

If I get the 3" keys, would a 35" clear? And if it does clear, what rear ratio would you recommend. I tow a trailer damn near every day so I definitely need to change them if I do go for bigger tires.

Thanks guys

Old 07-09-2013, 12:40 AM
First off don't get aftermarket keys. Crank your stock ones until the truck is level and stop there. Otherwise you'll be blowing out ball joints, tie rod ends, and cv axles constantly, especially if you try to get 3" out of it. Not to mention alignments would not happen. Besides its saving you money buy not making you buy keys and lots of parts down the road.

Once you crank the stock keys to level it, you can fit a narrow 35" tire on the stock wheels. I'd consider 33's though if you want no rubbing issues. If you still want to add lift to the rear to get the stock rake back I would recommend an add a leaf since you tow.

Gear wise I'd do 4.10's with 33's or 4.56's with 35's. When ordering dont forget the front gears are 8.8 reverse cut.

Old 07-09-2013, 04:43 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by pizzaman711
First off don't get aftermarket keys. Crank your stock ones until the truck is level and stop there. Otherwise you'll be blowing out ball joints, tie rod ends, and cv axles constantly, especially if you try to get 3" out of it. Not to mention alignments would not happen. Besides its saving you money buy not making you buy keys and lots of parts down the road.

Once you crank the stock keys to level it, you can fit a narrow 35" tire on the stock wheels. I'd consider 33's though if you want no rubbing issues. If you still want to add lift to the rear to get the stock rake back I would recommend an add a leaf since you tow.

Gear wise I'd do 4.10's with 33's or 4.56's with 35's. When ordering dont forget the front gears are 8.8 reverse cut.
I agree with all of this, especially the 33's. IMHO, 33's just "fit" this body style better...but that's just me. Couldn't have said it better on the ratio recommendation.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by pizzaman711

Agree with this also. Guy I work with has done the same and has 35s on his stock wheels. Don't fear the gear. Mod motors love more gear.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:05 AM
glc
Received 774 Likes on 715 Posts
I'm prob going to keep my stock 16" wheels because the extra $1000 is not something I can afford.
Can you afford to regear both axles? Do you have the tools and ability to set up new gearsets?

Old 07-10-2013, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by glc

Can you afford to regear both axles? Do you have the tools and ability to set up new gearsets?
Please correct me if I'm wrong but a gear set for one axle is around the $200 mark right? If that's the case I have the $400 to spend on that. As far as the actual rebuild goes, my father owns a transmission and auto repair shop amd has all the tools and know-how to do it. I'll be the one doing it while he explains so I can get some knowledge which is cool because we can do it on the weekend when he doesn't work.

I'll probably try to go for the 4.10's and 33's. About how much lift do you think I can get out of just cranking the keys? And I was looking at the add a leaf system because it does add some strength for towing.

And what's your guys opinion on tires? Do you like the ST-MAXX or the trail grapper from nito? I see a lot of truck running the nitos.

Thanks guy. Sorry I havent gotten back to my own thread. Been real bussy with work.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:08 PM
1.5-2" cranking the torsions. I wouldn't go past 2". As for learning yea, that'd be awesome. But I'd almost recommend letting him do it while you watch, for at least one axle, it's one of those things where if it doesn't go exactly right you'll be replacing it pretty fast.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:48 PM
glc
Received 774 Likes on 715 Posts
A 15 year old truck may need master rebuild kits for both axles in addition to the gearsets, increasing the cost.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:24 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
As long as you stay away from the aftermarket keys, you can crank the stock keys full to the stops; bottom out the adjustment bolt as far as they'll go and you'll be safe. Decide what you want as far as sitting position of your truck. Every truck is different. You may just get your truck level with the keys and then adding an add-a-leaf or anything to the rear will put the tail right back higher than the front again. Just try it and see what you end up with.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:02 AM
I've ran both the Nitto Terra Grappler and Cooper ST Maxx on my '09. The ST Maxx is definately louder. Unless you are doing alot of off roading, I would recommend the Terra Grappler.

Quick Reply: in the market for new tires and rear ratios. what to choose?