Need brakes. Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 11:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i hear ya. totally your call, totally your truck. if someone else chimes in and says otherwise ill listen, but in my experience i always stick with OEM rotors. you can totally try a different rotor. i just wanted to give you my 2 cents haha! goodluck though and let us know how it works out!

Old 07-18-2013, 11:15 PM
oh and throw some fresh fluid in while youre at it!

Old 07-19-2013, 10:11 AM
I kinda want slotted rotors only because I was told it would help clean them off for when I go mudding.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:07 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Both of my OEM rotors on both '04/'07 trucks were chewed to an inpleasant death via seized caliper. OEM rotors are decent disks, but I will bluntly say our OEM calipers suck, however the genius in me replaced them with brand new motorcraft still

My setup, Powerslot ( now name branded as StopTech ) slotted rotors, not drilled, Hawk LTS ( light-truck-suv ) semi-metallic grade pads with fresh Motorcraft Dot 3. Stops excellent. Also replaced the brake flex lines with new motorcraft cause I had to get it on the road asap, otherwise I would have done stainless braided.

As it is, it stops great. Did it all myself, $600 invested, free labor aside of refreshments.

Old 07-19-2013, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
Both of my OEM rotors on both '04/'07 trucks were chewed to an inpleasant death via seized caliper. OEM rotors are decent disks, but I will bluntly say our OEM calipers suck, however the genius in me replaced them with brand new motorcraft still

My setup, Powerslot ( now name branded as StopTech ) slotted rotors, not drilled, Hawk LTS ( light-truck-suv ) semi-metallic grade pads with fresh Motorcraft Dot 3. Stops excellent. Also replaced the brake flex lines with new motorcraft cause I had to get it on the road asap, otherwise I would have done stainless braided.

As it is, it stops great. Did it all myself, $600 invested, free labor aside of refreshments.
have you had a wheel off recently to estimate how much you have left on the brake pads and how many miles on them? id actually really like to know to see how they are wearing with the slotted compared to stock!

Old 07-19-2013, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by jdeacon
have you had a wheel off recently to estimate how much you have left on the brake pads and how many miles on them? id actually really like to know to see how they are wearing with the slotted compared to stock!
I do not have any photos but I can tell you that the pads look almost new, still thick and wearing great. Next time I have the wheels off I will try and take a photo. I am very pleased with how great they look inside the calipers and the rotors themselves aren't grooved nor have any wear spots. You get what you pay for as they say.

Old 07-19-2013, 05:02 PM
you always do. how many miles you have on that set up so far?

Old 07-23-2013, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by jdeacon
you always do. how many miles you have on that set up so far?
I believe I have put on 36,000 miles since this brake job.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I will do some digging tonight when I get home from work. I am not 100% certain, but I think I have a set of EBC Greenstuff 6000 front pads in a box of spares in my garage. If so I think I am going to...

#1. Get the matching set for the rear. If they aren't there, I will go ahead and snag front / rear sets of Wagner TQs.
#2. While I appreciate the experience of folks here. I have been asking some friends in the business, and they are using the Raybestos rotors as they get the least call backs on them. From what the pros I am talking to are seeing, the Motocraft rotors are prone to warping, and that is what I experienced with mine.
#3. Grab a fresh tube of silicone brake lube for the slides. I have not experienced what DarrenWS6 has with the calipers, but then again, I do not live in the rust belt either. I simply clean and lube the mating / sliding surfaces before reassembly.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:05 AM
seized calipers are common on these trucks, no matter where you live. goodluck!

Old 07-23-2013, 03:56 PM
Haven't experienced that. Good to know though...

Old 07-23-2013, 06:12 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
I had issues with my Raybestos... I'd rethink that man. They have a terrible rep from what I googled for our trucks.

I ordered off Amazon the Centric conversion kit (I'm 2wd), and new centric front flex lines... 297 shipped. It should be here tomorrow. I have a spare set of Semi metallic pads I'll be putting on.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:13 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
And seized calipers are way too common.... I had one seized and replaced all 4. My parking brake is a mess right now, it keeps dragging. That was replaced last year, I have had so many brake issues it isn't even funny.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:19 PM
I have powerstop ceramic pads and drilled and slotted rotors all around. I dont have any complaints.

But since you do towing i would look for a towing specific setup for brakes on your truck.

Plus i dont tow with my truck. Had them on over a yr now. not sure how many miles.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:51 PM

Both my 2004 and 2007 have had calipers seize and fail. Ford brakes suck.

Quick Reply: Need brakes. Recommendations?