new tires on stock wheels with TPMS issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 11:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new tires on stock wheels with TPMS issue

Its been a LONG time since I have been on here. Figured I would to see if anyone else here has has this issue also. Long story short, I went to a offroad shop down around my area to get bigger tires since I was due for them. I had them install 295/70/18s trail grapplers on my stock '10 f150 18s. I drove my truck around 250ish miles around after getting them. I was driving around 55-60 mph on my way back from golfing and all the sudden a TPMS warning came on and started flashing. I pulled over to make sure I didnt have a tire going flat or something. Nothing like that was happening, so I turned back on the truck and drove home and it never came back up. I have drove maybe 30ish miles since I saw this notice pop up.

My question is 1) Do I need to possibly have all of them replaced to be safe? I dont wanna see this pop up constantly and I dont like the idea of putting tape on my cluster. 2) How much should this run to fix it?

I have a 4 hour drive I have to make at the end of the month and I really dont wanna have to see this pop up again during this trip. All help is appreciated. Thanks.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Don't worry. Same thing happened to me. I put a set of Cooper AT3's on a another set of stock rims with new sensors, and mine did it at about 40 miles. Just means that the sensors need to be trained. The procedure is explained in the owners manual. Real simple to do. In March I bought a set of KMC chrome rims and put another set of the Coopers on with new sensors. After about 50 miles it happened. But I couldn't get the darn things too train. So I just let it go until I had the oil changed and the tech did it for me. I thought I had a bad sensor but he said sometimes they are finakee (spell check).

Old 08-05-2013, 12:03 PM

Those systems are pretty temperamental on all vehicles. Even if it stopped working and went crazy, there's nothing to worry about. The light is annoying and I'd want it off or taken care of ASAP, but there's no potential harm. And I'm gonna assume that what Scarlet is true, so no worries

Old 08-05-2013, 12:18 PM
I'm just confused on how they work exactly? Are they mounted on the tire or the wheel? Why do they need to be "retrained"? After this happened I went in and did a quick system reset (on the cluster). Not sure if that really means anything. But I just hope it doesn't come up again during this 1000 mile round trip

Quick Reply: new tires on stock wheels with TPMS issue