Need New tires?...don't know what to get

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 02:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need New tires?...don't know what to get

Hi all,

Just got my first truck, 2000 F150 Lariet.......I was planning on getting different tires for it, but after doing the coin test, I think it's a necessity.

The center if the tires are down to just at 2/32, and the tread gets progressively deeper toward the edges, to a depth of 6/32 in the tread on the edge.

This leads me to believe that new tires has become priority number one, does this sound right?

If I need new tires, I'm kind of lost on what to get. I live in no ethers Minnesota, so snow and rain are always an issue. I do mostly pavedroad driving, bith there are a few places where I have to go on gravel, and offroad. I can only afford one set of tires at this time.

Looking for some suggestions, can't really afford more than $150 a tire, sadly.

Thanks

Here's a picture of my front driver side tire.....all the tires are pretty much the same
Name:  0825131335_zps8b39fe58.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  269.1 KB

Edit: tire info added
max pressure listed on the tires is 44psi
max weight listed on the tires is 2535 pounds

Tires are P265/70R17SL

Last edited by Vaultdweller; 08-28-2013 at 11:39 AM.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What pressure are you using on those tires? Center tread wearing more than the rest of the tire usually means over inflated. What is the tire size and load range? What is the max weight and max pressure shown on the side of the tire?
As you do travel on dirt and gravel roads, I suggest you get an LT tire, as they will stand up better than a P series tire. Unfortunately they usually are more expensive than a P series tire, but you can get some decent deals. As size and other info make a big difference in price, we will need that info.

Old 08-25-2013, 03:13 PM
Running at 35 psi

Tires are P265/70R17SL

I fiured there was an over inflation problem. got the truck 2 weeks ago and put maybe 300 miles on it. Tires were really underinflated when I got the truck....and the tire wear was pretty much what it is now...i figure it the tires were overinflated when it was being used, the went low sitting at the dealership

Old 08-25-2013, 03:31 PM
glc
Received 770 Likes on 711 Posts
Is this 2wd or 4wd?

Those tires look quite dry rotted. I would replace them before winter.

A decent highway all season tire with a fairly aggressive tread is the BFG Rugged Terrain T/A. If you have a membership, you can get them at Sam's Club.

Old 08-25-2013, 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Is this 2wd or 4wd?

Those tires look quite dry rotted. I would replace them before winter.

A decent highway all season tire with a fairly aggressive tread is the BFG Rugged Terrain T/A. If you have a membership, you can get them at Sam's Club.
Planning on replacing them before November hunting season, I noticed the dry rot too...and was thinking that was going to be an issue....still learning about stuff....when I had my sedan i didnt give a rip....owning the truck, I care about it a lot more

Old 08-25-2013, 04:05 PM
Originally Posted by Vaultdweller
Running at 35 psi

Tires are P265/70R17SL

I fiured there was an over inflation problem. got the truck 2 weeks ago and put maybe 300 miles on it. Tires were really underinflated when I got the truck....and the tire wear was pretty much what it is now...i figure it the tires were overinflated when it was being used, the went low sitting at the dealership
35 is correct for those tires or any P series with a max of 44. LT or XL P series (max 50) would be different. You should be able to find lots of tires in that size. Both P series and LT tires. A load range C LT tire will handle the dirt/gravel road better than a P series like you have, especially with the chance of flats/blowouts due to the harsh conditions. Keeping it under $150 will be the tough part.
See here for a list of tires that can be had in that size, although most will be well over the $150, at least as listed by Tire Rack. The Rugged Terrain is right at in a P series. The Firestone Destination LE 2 is a little lower in price and I have heard good things about them. The tires are also rated here by the customers.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...65&PID=3196498

Last edited by kingfish51; 08-25-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by kingfish51
35 is correct for those tires or any P series with a max of 44. LT or XL P series (max 50) would be different. You should be able to find lots of tires in that size. Both P series and LT tires. A load range C LT tire will handle the dirt/gravel road better than a P series like you have, especially with the chance of flats/blowouts due to the harsh conditions. Keeping it under $150 will be the tough part.
See here for a list of tires that can be had in that size, although most will be well over the $150, at least as listed by Tire Rack. The Rugged Terrain is right at in a P series. The Firestone Destination LE 2 is a little lower in price and I have heard good things about them. The tires are also rated here by the customers.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...65&PID=3196498
Thanks for the link. I really wish I could go more than $150, but after the money down on the truck, I don't have much for liquid funds, and needing the tires before winter doesn't give much time to save

I was looking at the Cooper Discover ATP and Falken Rocky Mountain ATS, in my price range.

There's a Discount tire about 70 miles from me. I don't have the tools or confidence to do my own tires, so I am kind of limited as to what I can get through retailers who install. Discount Tire and the Ford dealership are the 2 bigger retailers near to me.

Old 08-25-2013, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the link. I really wish I could go more than $150, but after the money down on the truck, I don't have much for liquid funds, and needing the tires before winter doesn't give much time to save

I was looking at the Cooper Discover ATP and Falken Rocky Mountain ATS, in my price range.

There's a Discount tire about 70 miles from me. I don't have the tools or confidence to do my own tires, so I am kind of limited as to what I can get through retailers who install. Discount Tire and the Ford dealership are the 2 bigger retailers near to me.
Per the discount tire site, the Falken has a good rating. I would look at the Cooper Discoverer AT 3 too. This also has a good rating at Discount tire. Have also heard good things about them, although some have had trouble with balancing in the heavier (higher LR) tires. As you are in Minnesota, you will want something with a more aggressive tread for snow than a highway tire.

Old 08-25-2013, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by kingfish51
Per the discount tire site, the Falken has a good rating. I would look at the Cooper Discoverer AT 3 too. This also has a good rating at Discount tire. Have also heard good things about them, although some have had trouble with balancing in the heavier (higher LR) tires. As you are in Minnesota, you will want something with a more aggressive tread for snow than a highway tire.
Thanks. I keep forgetting I don't live in the cities any more, I'm out in the northwoods....need to change that mindset when it comes to tires

Old 08-27-2013, 10:45 PM
Wife found General Tire Grabber AT2 at a local place for $165-$185...she didnt have the tire size to know for sure....buy 3 get on free. Are those good tires, and is that a decent price?

Old 08-28-2013, 03:05 AM
I can only go by the reviews on tire rack and discount tire as I have no experience with General tires at all.. They seem to be a decent tire getting 8 - 9 out of 10.
Which tire was listed for that price? I assume the P series. General has that tire in a P series and a LR E tire. I doubt the LR E would be available that cheap.
As far as price, that is more expensive than Discount or Tire Rack, but there you are not getting 4 for price of 3.

Last edited by kingfish51; 08-28-2013 at 03:08 AM.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:53 AM
I cannot speak authoritatively on those particular tire models, however I have been using Falken tires on various cars since the mid 90s, starting with a Toytoa Celica subjected to way too much abuse. Sadly Falken doesn't sell Mud tires, which are what I am going with down here in Texas.

You are leaving out some critical information for folks to help you for sure. Like size... There are a huge variety of sizes these trucks can be fitted with. What size do you need for your configuration?

Not sure about your area, but you could check Walmat, Sams Club, Costco etc... to try to find a better deal on tires...

Old 08-28-2013, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by dbhost
I cannot speak authoritatively on those particular tire models, however I have been using Falken tires on various cars since the mid 90s, starting with a Toytoa Celica subjected to way too much abuse. Sadly Falken doesn't sell Mud tires, which are what I am going with down here in Texas.

You are leaving out some critical information for folks to help you for sure. Like size... There are a huge variety of sizes these trucks can be fitted with. What size do you need for your configuration?

Not sure about your area, but you could check Walmat, Sams Club, Costco etc... to try to find a better deal on tires...
He has already stated size, 265/70R17. Post #3.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:59 AM
glc
Received 770 Likes on 711 Posts
Tires are P265/70R17SL
^^^

Originally Posted by dbhost

Old 08-28-2013, 02:05 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs
BFG A/T
Toyo A/T II Extreme

I like Cooper Discoverer M+S or Hankook iPikes for dedicated snowtires. But going to try the Duratracs this year

Quick Reply: Need New tires?...don't know what to get