New Powerstop Rotors, ARE THEY THE PROBLEM?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 11:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Powerstop Rotors, ARE THEY THE PROBLEM?

Hello,

Lets start by saying I needed new brakes. 2002 F150 FX4 106,000 miles. This is the 3rd set of brakes the truck has received. I figured I would go with the Powerstop Rotors and Pads item #K1866-36 according to website.

Now on to my problem. Installed brakes little over a month ago. First 2 weeks they were great, NO PROBLEMS. Then crap hit the fan. Left front wheel bearing went out on me. Not a dilemma, changed it. Week goes by, start getting a grinding? /grabbing only when applying the brakes. So I just assume its the other "right" side bearing. Take everything back apart, put right side wheel bearing in and bolt all back together.

Now this would be the 4th time I have had the front end apart. Everything should be good right? Well, WRONG!!!!

SO MY QUESTION IS WHAT IS IT? EVERYTHING IS TIGHT

Old 09-13-2013, 11:43 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With everything is possible, you need to thoroughly inspect the brake system, not just the pads / rotors. It's possible you have some physical debris stuck between the caliper frame and the rotor that gets jammed into it when you hit the brakes (had that happen with stock, small chunk of gravel), could be any number of things...

Tear it back down, and do a complete inspection of the system, carefully look for wear / deterioration on the lines, caliper pistons, slides etc...

Just wondering, not sure about your version, but mine came with full hardware kits, did yours, and did you use them? Did you lube the slides?

Old 09-14-2013, 12:33 AM
Full hardware as in new bolts? Because no I did not get new bolts. I did get metal slides. Just the rotor and pads. Also when you mentioned the slides, you are talking about the metal piece that is supplied to go onto the caliper?

Old 09-14-2013, 02:12 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
You sure you're not having a vacuum lock hub issue? FX4 right?

What exactly is you symptom?

Old 09-15-2013, 11:34 AM
Patman : Not sure what the vacuum lock hub issue is? It is a 2002 FX4. Symptoms are when applying the brakes it sounds as if the brakes are grinding. Not a grind like when your pads are toast but like grind/grabbing noise. Not sure how to describe it more detailed though.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, I am talking about the metal that the pad slides against. You should use disc brake lube where the pad slides agonist the caliper. I would still check for debris.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:18 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Does anybody rebuild the calipers during a brake replacement?

Quick Reply: New Powerstop Rotors, ARE THEY THE PROBLEM?