Couple tire size and load questions (pics included)

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 07:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Couple tire size and load questions (pics included)

Below are pics of my truck. I've asked a couple questions before, But am planning to buy soon.

The truck currently has P245/70/17s. It's 2wd with 4x4 sized coil overs in the front and 2.5" blocks in the rear. I do not want it to look stuffed at all.

I'm only looking for AT tires with a deep tread (15/32 - 17/32).

255/70/17s dont have many options. It seems like my best choice is going to be a 265/70/17.

Now for the questions, going from my current tires size to 265/70/17, what will i see in mpg loss?

Also, I'd like an LT tire as the tread is deeper, I've found most are load E, which I'm sure would ride horribly, but the BFG and the Goodyear AT's both come in load C. How do those ride?

Lastly, do you think a 31.7 inch tire would look good? That's about an inch larger than current.

Thanks!

Old 10-04-2013, 08:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Even a load range E will not ride horribly if properly inflated. Personally I will not use a P series on my trucks. Have had LR E tires before and while slightly rougher than a LR C, they were not bad. A LR C will be slightly stiffer than a P series but will have the added benefit of better handling, especially in turns. They will also be better able to handle harsh conditions (off road, gravel, etc) than a p series. Far less likely to end up with a flat or blowout. They will cause a slight lower of MPG beyond size differences. Yo "may see a slight loss due to size, but not much.
If you get a LR C max 50psi, run them at around 40-45 all the way around. If the BFG, closer to 40, if the GY closer to 45.

As far as looks, a 265/70R17 will certainly look better than your current. Nowhere near "stuffed".

Old 10-04-2013, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by kingfish51
Even a load range E will not ride horribly if properly inflated. Personally I will not use a P series on my trucks. Have had LR E tires before and while slightly rougher than a LR C, they were not bad. A LR C will be slightly stiffer than a P series but will have the added benefit of better handling, especially in turns. They will also be better able to handle harsh conditions (off road, gravel, etc) than a p series. Far less likely to end up with a flat or blowout. They will cause a slight lower of MPG beyond size differences. Yo "may see a slight loss due to size, but not much.
If you get a LR C max 50psi, run them at around 40-45 all the way around. If the BFG, closer to 40, if the GY closer to 45.

As far as looks, a 265/70R17 will certainly look better than your current. Nowhere near "stuffed".
Thank you! What would you recommend running an E rated 80psi tire at to have it not ride harsh?

I've always run my current P rated firestone destinations at 40psi and have 50k miles on them. They still have about 30 - 40% tread as I've rotated them, but are starting to dry rot just a tiny bit.

If and E tire wouldn't be that awful, that'll open things up even more selection wise. Those michelin ltx at tires have the deepest tread. I want something decent in snow if needed but not super off road looking. The firestone destinations have been great in all of the above. But would like to try something else.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:31 PM
It will all depend upon the weight rating of the tire. An example is the BFG AT which at least in the past came in both LR C and LR E. The C I would run at 40. The E I ran at 50. You could go as low as 45, but would really need to bump that up if loaded. 50 should handle anything the truck can without being over loaded.

Was it a bit stiffer than a LR C, yes, but to me not drastically so.

As far as tread wear, I have never gotten less than 40k out of a set of BFGs, in most cases more. However I am known to be hard on tires. I have had more than one set of the GY ATs, and I am not really impressed, although the Wrangler Silent Armors aren't bad.

Last edited by kingfish51; 10-04-2013 at 08:35 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by kingfish51
It will all depend upon the weight rating of the tire. An example is the BFG AT which at least in the past came in both LR C and LR E. The C I would run at 40. The E I ran at 50. You could go as low as 45, but would really need to bump that up if loaded. 50 should handle anything the truck can without being over loaded.

Was it a bit stiffer than a LR C, yes, but to me not drastically so.

As far as tread wear, I have never gotten less than 40k out of a set of BFGs, in most cases more. However I am known to be hard on tires. I have had more than one set of the GY ATs, and I am not really impressed, although the Wrangler Silent Armors aren't bad.
I appreciate your time and responses. You've been helpful, now I just need to pick the tire, but I'm going to try sticking with load range C if possible. The wrangler silent armors were the GY tires I was looking at. It probably be between those and the BFG. I'm not a huge fan of the aggressive tread look of the GFG, but if it's a great tire, I'll have to not care about that.

Thanks again, you've been helpful!

Old 10-04-2013, 10:35 PM
You are welcome. I think you will like the LT tires, especially for handling. Much less lean in the turns.

Quick Reply: Couple tire size and load questions (pics included)