Trying to understand offset

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 06:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Trying to understand offset

New to this forum came over over from f150forum because I couldn't find the answer I was looking for over there. I'm looking to get a set of summer rims close to stock size. I have 2010 fx4 with 18" wheels. I have a spare set of tires from my dad's truck (2010 f150 lariat) that his company threw new tires on and let him keep his old ones with decent life left in them. So my question is this, if I want to run these stock tires for the summer what are my limitations on rim size? I'll post the set I'm looking at but I'm concerned the rim is to wide for my tires. I would also like a little better 'stance', if you will, to the truck. My brother drives an 07 f150 xlt and even on stock rims he has probably a 1/4 to 1/2 inch outside the fenders which I really like, I wouldn't be opposed to even a touch more. So if anyone can tell me if the rims at the bottom will work for that, that would be great otherwise what kind of backspace, offset, and rim width I am looking for?

Thanks everyone!

http://www.bbwheelsonline.com/set-of...9-7-5-5-6x135/

Old 10-07-2013, 06:33 PM
those wheels dont have a width or offset lol thats strange

but....

they are most likely 9 inches wide, and most stock tires are 265 or maybe 275. depending on tire manufacturer, some 265s are rated for 9 inch wide wheels and some are not. a 275 will work on a 9 inch wide wheel.

as far as offset goes, if you want the wheel/tire to be outside of the fender you will need to go with a negative offset. offset is basically where on the wheel (outside/inside) the studs bolt up. so front wheel drive cars typically have high offsets +45 which causes the spokes of the wheel to be near the outside edge of the wheel, thus having the rest of the wheel tucked inside the fender. low offset wheels (-10, -20) bolt up on the inner edge of the wheel so the rest of the wheel is pushed outwards, outside the fender.

in summary, if you want your wheels to be outside the fender, you need a negative offset. i use the wheels in your signature (18x9 +18) as my winter wheels specifically because they do not stick outside the fender so they wont throw crap down the side of my truck. my summer wheels are 10 inches wide with a -12 offset. those stick out an easy 2 inches with the stock flares. if you want pictures check out my albums on my profile.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by jdeacon
those wheels dont have a width or offset
If you scroll down to product description it says 9" wide and 5.5" of backspacing...

Old 10-07-2013, 08:42 PM
so that rim will be able to handle the stock tire right it shouldn't be to wide and should mount up fine? and if my research is correct that's close to stock backspacing right?

Old 10-07-2013, 09:00 PM
close to stock backspacing but because the rim is wider than stock it is going to stick out a bit further.

you need to look up online at the tire manufacturers website to see if the tires you have will fit a 9 inch wide wheel. some will and some wont, which means you can prolly get away with it, but im just telling you to be safe.

just so were clear, those are not going to stick outside the fender at all though...

Old 10-07-2013, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by pizzaman711
If you scroll down to product description it says 9" wide and 5.5" of backspacing...
i knew it had to be on there somewhere. quite different from most other sites where it is plain as day lol

Old 10-07-2013, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by jdeacon

just so were clear, those are not going to stick outside the fender at all though...
okay thanks i'm going to keep looking then

Old 10-08-2013, 03:53 PM
does anyone have a recommendation on rims that will give me a good stance and are affodable? I'm looking for mainly black and I'm open to any brand.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:19 PM
Found this when looking for my wheels helped a lot for getting an idea of look and what would work
http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

Quick Reply: Trying to understand offset