Guess that wheel/tire combo!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 10:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guess that wheel/tire combo!

I found this picture a long time ago and I do not remember where. I've searched all over the place and didn't turn up anything. Basically, I am digging this wheel and tire combo. I'm not much of a tire/wheel person so It is a bit hard to tell the specs just by looking. Anyways, I want to know the tire/wheel combo. I'd like to know the offset etc all that good stuff.

Here is the pic...

My guess...17 inch XD spys and maybe Nitto Terra 305 or 315.

What is yal's guesstimates?

Old 12-27-2013, 12:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Definitely KMC XD Spys, but the tires appear to be a mud terrain.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:04 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
18" XD Spys with a + number offset, 33/34" mud terrain tire.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
18" XD Spys with a + number offset, 33/34" mud terrain tire.
Based on a quick internet education on offsets lol, these almost seem negative as they appear to stick out in the back. That could be the tire though. I looked at some online retailers that sell these wheels. They sell mostly -24, -12, +18 offset. With that in mind do you still consider these + offset? I also seen a post where a guy had these wheels that looked very similiar. He listed it being +0 offset...does +0 mean flush with the fender?

Old 12-30-2013, 01:05 PM

User's name is Fordman7. He may have info on his page. Definitely XD spy's though.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Wutsittou
Based on a quick internet education on offsets lol, these almost seem negative as they appear to stick out in the back. That could be the tire though. I looked at some online retailers that sell these wheels. They sell mostly -24, -12, +18 offset. With that in mind do you still consider these + offset? I also seen a post where a guy had these wheels that looked very similiar. He listed it being +0 offset...does +0 mean flush with the fender?
0 offset is more centered to the wheel. If its + offset the wheel sticks inside the well more ( wheel fascia outside toward rim, as in larger backspacing ), - offset it sticks out more ( as in wheel fascia sticks inward more, less backspacing). The more negative the offset the more clearance issues you may have when turning.

My wheels are +18 offset, they stick out a half inch past my fender flares. The wider tire puts them out more.
Name:  2012-09-03_13-32-07_505-1.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  146.2 KB

Finestyle150 on here has -18 offset wheels with a much more drastic backspace.

So thats why I claim those Spys must be of a 0 to + size offset.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by KMAC0694
User's name is Fordman7. He may have info on his page. Definitely XD spy's though.
In one of his photos, he states tires are 35x12.5/18.They are obvious Toyo Open Country M/Ts. 2" level, 3" body too.

Looks like at one point he did have A/Ts on these wheels.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:56 AM

In one of his photos, he states tires are 35x12.5/18.They are obvious Toyo Open Country M/Ts. 2" level, 3" body too.

Looks like at one point he did have A/Ts on these wheels.
Cool, I didn't have time to check his pics cause I was on here at work. I'm at work now, but there are no customers here yet haha. I think that looks pretty darn good with the 3" body, I remember he has that. I like his raptor graphics too.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:41 AM

Cool, I didn't have time to check his pics cause I was on here at work. I'm at work now, but there are no customers here yet haha. I think that looks pretty darn good with the 3" body, I remember he has that. I like his raptor graphics too.
. I wanted to do the 3" body awhile ago, but only if I do it myself. Otherwise better off paying for a 4" suspension, and if your going 4" may as well go 6" instead. So I killed off the idea.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:13 PM

. I wanted to do the 3" body awhile ago, but only if I do it myself. Otherwise better off paying for a 4" suspension, and if your going 4" may as well go 6" instead. So I killed off the idea.
I would likely do a 3" body very soon if I thought I could do it without major complications. I don't like body lifts, but they're the only way I can get the amount of lift I want. I like an 8" on 37s for 4wds, so I need 10" of lift and there's no way to get it other than going with a FTS or some other stupid kit. So 6" with cranked coils or a spacer and Bilsteins with 3" on top is all I can do!

Old 01-06-2014, 10:27 AM

Oh awesome man thanks for finding that! I'm glad I can see more pics of it at different angles. I am still on the fence about what offset. I really like the way Fordman's is, but I really love the tires that stick out. My truck is stock height at the moment, I plan on adding a leveling kit/shocks after I build my front bumper so I can see how much I need to add. Maybe one day I'll go for a 4-6 inch lift but that is not in the near future lol. How much rub is there with a 35' tire vs the +/- offsets?

Thanks for yal's help btw!

Old 01-06-2014, 08:00 PM

I have a screenshot of his truck saved on my phone cause I like(d) his Raptor decals haha.

35s will fit on a leveled 4WD, but they'll likely rub a little even after trimming. In my opinion, you're best off with 295/60/20 (perfect size) tires like Darren's. They're much less likely to rub, especially if you want to get a 0 or so offset. Any more negative and the tires will rub a lot, and 35s certainly wouldn't fit on -18 offset wheels. If I had to take a guess, an offset between +10 and +20 is probably the "best" for fitting a full 35x12.5 tire with minimal/no rubbing, but I don't know.

If you're building a full steel bumper for the front, I'd get a 2.5" level, not do leveling struts to achieve it, because the added weight makes a big difference.

Last edited by KMAC0694; 01-06-2014 at 08:05 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:53 AM
I think 295/60/20 is a little bit too much rim for me ha ha. It looks good on Darren's though. From what I can tell, XD spys only come in -12, +18, +20 offsets. Looks like +18 will be my magic number. Also, my truck as a 3.73 gear ratio, I should be alright with 35? I've read around but I see conflicting reports! I have played with the idea of just sticking with 33 inch wheels. If I stuck with my current 17 in rim size I can only get barely under 33 with the tires I found in my price range. I do love the 18 in rims though...I see stock FX4s and Lariats with them and they look good.

Yeah the bumper will be full steel, not sure on the pipe yet, probably be a heavy gauge as thats all I got laying around. The local metal shop here I know sells 1/8 (11 guage) diamond plate, but maybe they sell 7/64 (12 guage) so I can trim some weight. Unless my pop has some extra diamond plate for free...which I know is 1/8th. I expect the pipe to take most of the blows anyways. There are a lot of deer, hogs, cows on the road where I travel a lot.

Interesting you say to not add leveling struts vs spacer leveling kits...would it be better to just use a spacer leveling kit with better quality shocks than the stock ones vs something like only bilsteins?

Last edited by Wutsittou; 01-08-2014 at 09:00 AM.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:48 PM

Ahhh, I forgot you were going with a 17" wheel!

I said to get a level because the leveling struts have the potential to sag with a bunch of weight on the front end, but I haven't heard anything bad about the Bilsteins, only the Ranchos. The Bilsteins are much stiffer to begin with, so you may be fine with those. That extra weight can drag it down a bit.

The truck will lose a noticeable amount of oomph with a 35, but you'll be alright. I'd still opt for a tire closer to 34" though to be a little easier on the trans and maintain a little more power.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:19 PM
If my current tires hold out until I'm ready with the cash and what I want, I may go to 18's since the XD spys look better with the extra black. Also, I'll have a bit more height options with the 18's.

All I know is anything will be better than whats on there. 245/70/17 Starfires. They came with the truck...I had a lot of people tell me "Nice truck, but your wheels look tiny"

Thanks for your help btw.

I don't mind a little bit of rake, I actually don't have a preference. I just wanted to avoid too much sagging in the front with the bumper lol.

Quick Reply: Guess that wheel/tire combo!